1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've never really made practical use of effects with bass but... (Boss SE70 content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Deaj, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I sent my guitar amp chassis in to the manufacturer for service the other night leaving the combo enclosure empty. It occured to me then that the Boss SE70 processor (early '90s half-width 1U rack sized effects processor) that I use in the guitar amp's parallel loop for delay/echo will sit idle/unused for a couple of weeks until the chassis returns and that my Markbass combo has a parallel effects loop. Hmmmm...

I connected the SE70 to the Markbass loop and began messing around with some of the effects algorythms. This is fun!! I probably burned 2 hours just finding cool sounds and noodling on the bass. The various chorus algorythms all sound great! Some may be set up to be subtle enough that the result is a 'thickening' of the tone without sounding like a chorus effect. Very cool. Harmonizer/octave and synth tracking isn't good enough for practical use but it was still fun to play around with (have to move the SE70 placement in the signal path for algorythms that pass the unaffected/direct signal to the outputs since the amps loop is set for parallel operatin).

At the end of the day I prefer the relative simplicity of my bass rig as-is and will not likely make regular use of the SE70 (or any other processor in the loop). I'll be having fun with it for now though since the SE70 would otherwise be sitting idle until my guitar amp chassis returns.