1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i've never really used effects- need advice!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the yeti, Apr 10, 2010.

1. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    i'm one of those guys who's just never used effects, maybe a chorus once in a while but that's it. i'm in a band now with guitar/bass/drums that's doing a lot of dance/pop so i feel like i should at least investigate effects as a way to cover some of the keyboard parts (more convincingly?). where do i start? i was thinking a multi pedal but maybe i just need a decent synth pedal? which one? thanks.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're unfamiliar with fx in general, a good multi is a great idea. You'll learn most everything you need to know, and can better put a specific pedalboard together based on that knowledge.

3. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    thanks. any comments or ratings on the multis available? i see some of the boss units come up for sale from time to time. i'm assuming they'd be pretty good 'cos they've been making fx forever. is that right? anything else i should look at?

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    So you are looking do do mostly synth sounds?

Budget?

There are all-in-one synth pedals out there EXH make one, boss makes one, Chunk systems makes one, Korg made one, Akai made one... Or you can do what most of us do and get a few key pedals that can get the sounds we need. The basics are Octaver, Fuzz, Envelope filter. Phaser and or Flanger and or Chorus and or Delay for added depth can be used as well.

5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

+1

Stay away from the low-end Zoom units (which I have and use for practice and experimentation only, never in a band setting) , but I'm told the higher-end one is pretty good. Never tried other units.

6. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    What he said. If you want a real all-in-one synth pedal, you could try out the new Markbass Super Synth (do a little search and read a bit about it).

If you want a combination of pedals, I'd recommend the Zvex Mastotron for fuzz, EHX microPOG for octaver and EHX Enigma for envelope filter. I use that combination (with either one, two, or all three active at once) and I'm able to reproduce a lot of keyboard sounds pretty concincingly.

As additional effects, you might also want to look at some overdrive and other types of dirt as a generally useful way to change your tone. Add in modulations (chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, vibrato) and delay as you want. A wah pedal can be a nice addition.

A tuner pedal and a line selector (ie. boss LS-2) can come in handy as well.

7. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    thanks. i'd like to have as few pedals as possible (kiss) and still be able to pull off the tones i need. the octaver seems like a best 1st step if it's individual pedals 'cos that should thicken things up when it's just me and drums, or maybe i'm thinking all wrong? if i had to have a giant board i "think" i'd rather have a multi, but again, i have tons of exp. on bass and next to none w/fx.

as far as budget goes. i can spend what i need to but i'd like to do it as cheaply as i can. would $200 get me what i need (used)?

8. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    Zoom B2.1u is a great budget multi so iw ould recommend you go for it or something like it until you get familiar with effects search around the forum there are plenty of useful reviews!

9. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    LOVE gnx3 low end digitechs rnt great but the better ones r awesome=]

10. MusserMusic

MusserMusic

Mar 28, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Bass Floor Pod has a pretty good synth section. Pretty easy/simple to learn on. That's what I'm doing with it. I bought it cuz I have 0 knowlege on synths. My working band is an 80's Tribute Band ala New Wave/dance/pop/rock. I'm a late 60's/70's era guy so the 80's New Wave era/genre was foreign to me, in fact hated it in High School...sorry, getting off track. Anyway, the Bass Floor Pod might be worth checking out but there are alot of good bass synth stuff out there, more complicated, but it's a good unit for what it is.

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    An octaver would be a logical first step, but not so much to thicken your tone as much as to create a different tone all together. To each his own but to me an Octaver in a "synth" or "keyboard parts covering" context would be to take the natural timbre out of your bass and replace it with a more basic organ like sound like this.

EDIT: Here is a cleaner version of the same song.

It's Jojo Mayer and Nerve. John Davis is on bass. He is a local TBer and while I'm sure there is more that Octaver going on here I'm willing to bet that an OC-2 is the basis of his sound on this recording.

12. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    cool, thanks! that makes a lot of sense, especially with the clips.