1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've never seen a girl MAN-handle her bass like this!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A Rock, Apr 17, 2010.

1. DAMNIT JimmyM!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

2. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    i love watching women jam on the bass.

give me a soulful finger picking and i would be in heaven.

3. BrewCityLdB

BrewCityLdB

Jun 28, 2008
    Milton, WA
    Speaking of girls "manhandling" the bass. Why does it seem to be such a rarity to find a female bass player who feels perfectly comfortable with the instrument. More times than not they look like they're afraid to touch it. In fact just last month my wife and I went to see Muse. The opening band was Silversun Pickups, who I can't say I'm much of a fan of but then again it's really not my style of music. But anyway, their bass player is a girl and the whole time she was playing she looked very stiff, shoulders tensed up and just looked really uncomfortable playing her Thunderbird. Even my wife, who isn't a musician, mentioned it to me in between sets and I told her that I see that more often than not with female players and I don't understand it.

I certainly mean no disrespect to our sisters of the low frequencies. I know this doesn't apply to every female player. It's just something I notice quite a bit and I'm kind of dumbfounded by it. :confused:

4. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Jimmy...please tell me you didn't just do that...not again.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    It's official, no matter what you do, there's a Japanese girl doing it better than you on youtube.

6. Not saying this chick can "Man-handle" her bass any better than the first video, but on the topic of chick bass players, I saw this band live and this girl is the ****. Absolutely phenominal band....

The video posted was cool too, nice funky groove, tight playing.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    a lot of girls in bands who look stiff like the silversun pickups gal got into it because their boyfriends wanted them in the band. as a result, they're not great players and they look stiff. but take someone like julie slick or tal wilkenfeld, who have actually studied and worked hard at it, and they look right at home.

in short, if you're not a strong player, you'll look stiff no matter what sex you are, and if you're a strong player, you'll look comfy cozy.

8. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    :D

Killer playing, not so killer outfit.

9. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    in addition to the OP....never seen a girl man-handle her bass like this who is really a GIRL!

The number of male cosplay bassists on youtube is ridiculous. They are all good...but I'm stuck watching them wearing dresses:scowl:

10. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    HOLY CRAP!

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Nahhh,... not very impressed. look up Ida Funkhouser or Lisa (?). they play circles around most dudes while they sing!!! anyone can wank open strings and octaves while they pop and pluck and sound cool.

CORRECTION: it's Lydia, not Lisa. thank-you "king biscuit". Lydia and Ida make that girl look TERRIBLE!!!

12. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Nice! Also if haven't already, check out Lydia -- she is my favorite female bassist!

13. Meh. Slapping and popping does nothing for me. I'm so glad that it's not popular anymore.

14. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    That is wrong.

All wrong.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Asia is always full of musical surprises. I think we're only seeing the tip of it.

16. BrewCityLdB

BrewCityLdB

Jun 28, 2008
    Milton, WA
    Can't argue with that.

17. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    Made you look, though.:ninja:

18. That is VERY cool.

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1, I dig Earl Greyhound, I have their first CD, I always thought they would get more traction than they did.

20. I concur