1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've never seen a girl MAN-handle her bass like this!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A Rock, Apr 17, 2010.

1. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    Jimmy -

i kinda love Tissue Hime. the end of the vid you posted is the best part. where it cuts to random Japanese on a boat ending credit/travel ad and (s)he's yakking up the milk (s)he just pounded.

lovely Tissue Hime Milk Pounder.

-0behn desu0-

2. SpasticFingers

SpasticFingers

Mar 2, 2010
    :eek:I'm stunned - its one of the most bizarre videos I've ever seen.

3. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Miya from Bleach03

Miya not being dainty with the bass.

Hard to believe three girls from Okinawa can play with such ferocity.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ok, well maybe this video will make up for it. it's the same guy playing jazz fusion with a band, and he's not wearing a dress or feeling himself or anything ;)

5. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

omigod, I just crapped my pants when the groove (sic) kicked in.

No, seriously, I did: I crapped my pants! Poo everywhere.

That was awesome.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Versatile cat with some nice basses!

7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Slapping and popping's not popular anymore? I must have missed something! Anyway, I only have a problem with it when it's overdone. Too many bassists seem to be satisfied with fast and furious technique. I mean, it's impressive from a purely technical standpoint, but I'm not feelin' the all-important groove!

8. I think he's playing a Fodera NYC in the first clip and a Callowhill in the second one. Yes I agree, nice basses. Dude's a good bassist as well.

9. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Some great vids. Keep 'em coming. Where do you guys find out about these bands?

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    No it isn't, Just walk into your local GC, that is all that most of the kids can do

11. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah. Bleach03 is awesome. i think they broke up awhile ago tho.

-0behn desu0-

12. jacohead

jacohead

Aug 6, 2006
    This scares the crap out of me...like something out of a nightmare

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ok, well here's something that will make you feel happy again:

i don't think any discussion of asian female bassists is complete without a discussion of the great fumi from japan's greatest band ever, polysics. unfortunate that their keyboard player kayo just quit. hopefully they'll continue but she's pretty irreplaceable.

14. What I meant by not being popular anymore is that during the mid-1980's to the early 2000's, many new songs on the radio would have slapping and popping as the bass parts. The first time I took serious notice of it was when I heard the Miles Davis "Tutu" recording. The masterful Marcus Miller played the style in a very musical way. Instead of trying to impress us with how fast he can play, he used the technique to add a powerful funky feeling to the music. Even though he slaps and pops all over that recording, it's done tastefully. But, then came along the players that just wanted to show how fast they could play. It left me cold.

Since the early 2000's, there has been less and less of the technique. Maybe it just goes along with the return to the vintage vibe thing that has been popular for awhile.

About what we experience in the music stores, when I hear someone slapping and popping on a bass, it's the same effect as someone playing "Stairway to Heaven" on a guitar. It's all about, "Ooooooh! Look what I can do!" :scowl:

OK, I'l stop being grumpy now. :D

15. julieslick

julieslick

May 19, 2008
    endorsing artist¬ólakland+gk+d'addario+eventide+pigtronix+digitech
    Hahahaha... excellent.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Are you sure?

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I agree. It's got to be in the groove, not just showing off.

18. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    Just learned they broke up last year.:crying:

19. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT

20. Oh right, I'm glad that the only time bass gets noticed in popular music is on the decline. :bawl:

I like slapping. Not like Vic. Like Larry Graham. It's what got me into bass as a 10 year old kid, haha.