I've never taken a Dog to the pound...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marc DLarosa, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    As a matter of fact, I only rescue them. But, that's another story, for another forum.

But, here's why I titled this thread as I did.

I can only imagine that having a K9 that you could not get along with, and no matter how much effort you put into the relationship, as much as you wanted it to work out... for some disgusting, unimaginable reason... it just couldn't work. It constantly eats your shoes/furniture. Bites your neighbors kids. Chews on your basses/amp. Doesn't listen to ANY commands.

Finally, it has to go.

You get to the pound. It doesn't wanna get out of the car. It gives you "puppy dog eyes." Smiles at you, and you "just know that it deserves ONE LAST CHANCE."

You bring it home, and surprisingly... it's a different animal altogether. Obedient. Fun. Protective. Trusting. And... well... something inexplicable. I mean... to the point where you think... "it had to be me!!!"

This just happened to me. After not even looking at it for over a year, I decided to sell my American Standard Jaguar. Took it out of the case to take some pictures. Plugged it in to the little SWR, workingman's combo 12 that sits in my den, one last time. Straight. No pedals. EQ set as usual. Low volume. Old battery, and strings. Then... She sang. Neck felt great. Balance was awesome. Boy, is She pretty. I really don't know what else to say, besides... "yeah, She's home."

I've had a few other regrets, selling basses. Happy that I dodged this bullet.

Weird.

Anyone else ever have a similar situation? [2nd edit] Just to clarify, I'm talking about the bass. The DOG thing is an analogy, and JUST THAT.

Here She is.
    20220625_233328_HDR.jpg
    Definitely NOT a Dog. But... I'd NEVER turn my back on a K9 that I brought home.

Peace,
    Marc

[edit]
    P.S.
    Here's my pups... LOL
    20220108_144713_HDR_3 (1).jpg
    Anyone in the L.A. area, who likes, and knows how to handle German Shepherds, please feel free to contact the wonderful people at West Side German Shepherd Rescue. Westside German Shepherd Rescue
    I hope that I don't get in trouble for the link.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  2. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    Yeah, we've had 8 rescue dogs over the last 25 years...love your pups, not the analogy though, lol

3. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Sorry. That Jag was on it's way out. Then... EVERYTHING changed in a HOT MINUTE.

el jeffe bass and barrenelly like this.
  4. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Beautiful dogs.
    I've posted recently that once settled into my new place I want to go back to fostering and rescuing dogs.

5. We’re mostly a cat household here, and yeah, we have one cat that is a bit of an issue, but we’d never get rid of it.

Regarding basses, this has (unfortunately) never happened to me. I say unfortunately because there are a lot of instruments I regret selling, and wish I took the time to really re-evaluate them and think it through before listing them

6. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    I've got a feeling that this thread is gonna derail towards my pups, instead of the intended "new love" for a bass that I was ready to let go...

I'm OK with this. :thumbsup:

Adopt!!!

2112, barrenelly, LBS-bass and 4 others like this.
  7. Oldbasslover

Oldbasslover Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Florida
    I think the story could have been just fine without the analogy. Analogies are supposed to make a point clearer, not muddy the water.

I think you could have simply asked the question if people had an experience with a bass that they just couldn’t feel good about, then had a huge reversal that they realized what a great bass it was.

Talking about taking an animal to the pound because it doesn’t behave doesn’t have anything to do with that. Although I understand where you were trying to go.

My advice - ask the mods to delete the thread and start over without the dog story.

Dust2Dust, BlueTalon, gebass6 and 3 others like this.
  8. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    I don't like Jags either. Tried several, nah, hard pass. Didn't like the feel, tone or balance and the US ones are way too much coin for what I felt I would get.

fleabitten likes this.
  9. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Love the dogs!! Glad you are keeping a bass that works for you. Did I say already that I love the dogs ?!?!:woot::drool::smug:

10. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Sure. Whatever makes EVERYONE feel better. I was just trying to make a point. I really, DID NOT LIKE THIS BASS. Then... something happened. I love it!!!

Dogs... I LOVE them all. Even the ones that weigh 3lbs, that get walked on 30 foot leashes, barking incessantly at mine, while their owners are on their phones, ignoring the situation.

We all need discipline. But... this thread is all about FALLING BACK IN LOVE WITH A BASS THAT I ALMOST/REGRETED LETTING GO. Same (although, not as heartbreaking as losing a DOG) thing. But, not really... If it needs to be deleted, so be it. I'll still have the bass, and my pups.

My apologies.

11. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    No need at all.

12. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    If yer ever in the L.A. area, stop by. My GRRRLZ, basses, and pups would welcome you You with open arms, strings, and paws!!!

13. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    Will do.

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  14. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Funny. Before getting the U.S., I had 3 MIJ's. ONE was exceptional. Sold 2 of the 3. Kept THE ONE. Got the U.S., Sold the last MIJ. I'd trade the U.S. for that ONE MIJ, RIGHT NOW...

15. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    You can play my 5 string EBMM STERLING!!! And any of the other 50 basses here...

LadyLoveStingRay5 likes this.
  16. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Thank You. :thumbsup:

Keyser Soze and Snert like this.
  17. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Perfect analogy! Bass is cool looking. I’ve very played one but I would love to try it!

it’s so weird how tastes, feel and sound can change so radically in a year. I thought I was a Jazz bass guy and now I won’t even pick one up to try!

Great dogs by the way!

barrenelly, Texican and Marc DLarosa like this.
  18. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    This is why I advocate keeping basses and guitars cased: taking them out on a slow Saturday makes it feel like you got a new bass except it didn’t cost anything.

19. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Thank You.

20. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Right? Gotta go. Taking my Jaguar to the park for a walk...

TyBo and CaribooBass like this.