Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've noticed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zentner, May 13, 2003.

1. That alot of you "more elite" bassists are using Rigs with alot of different components, such as separate power amplifiers and pre amps, power conditioners, equalizers, and so on...

Other than kinding the exact tone you like... what specifically are the pro's of using all that equipment?? (other than the fact that you look the coolest on stage:cool: )

As well, what would be the purpose of a power conditioner? Is it anything like a sonic maximizer?

I noticed many of you use QSC, Epifani, and Walter Woods equipment, and not so much BagEnd, SWR (amps), Aguilar (amps), and Mesa (cabs). Any reasons?

Most importantly, I own an SWR 750x and a BagEnd Q10BX-D (4x10) cab. What should be on my "list" of things to pick up next!!!!

Thanx a bundle!

~Zentner

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I don't think that's true at all. I think most bassists here, elite or not, use and buy what they need. If they need fancy parametric EQ's and Aural Enhancers and BBE systems, then they have them in spades. But I think you'll find just as many who are just using a Fender Bassman or an SWR 350 with a 15.

I think the pros of all the equipment is versatility and the ability to 'tweak' and make minute changes to your sound.

A power conditioner cleans up the peaks and surges associated with a power source that is less than optimal.

Plenty of people here use Bag End, SWR, and especially Aguilar. Bergantino and Epifani are also popular, but I think you'll find many more people using Aguilar, Bag End, and SWR than either of those more expensive brands.

EDIT: Didn't notice you were new. Welcome to TalkBass... enjoy your stay. :) Its quite an eye-opening experience.:cool:

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the only reason i don't use an aguilar is because i can't afford one right now.

i'm stuck with my SVP-Pro (which is in the shop on warranty - 1 month already!!!!!!), qsc 1450 and avatar 410

4. Thanks very much for the help!

~Zentner

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use a modular system like you describe in your original post. Nothing snobby about it. I use a QSC power amp because they are lighter than most for the same power. Price is also reasonable, considering, and I purchase most of my gear used, and you can easily find QSC used at a good price.

I use an Eden preamp (again, used) and have gone through THREE brands before I found one with the tone that suits me best. Its cheaper to swap out quality preamps than "all-in-one" amp combos, in my experience.

I use Aguilar cabs. I was in the market for an Eden at the time, but the Aguilars were a bit cheaper, and sounded every bit as good if not better. So, that explains that.

I use a Furman power conditioner/regulator. Once I had my amp fry when filling in with a blues band at a biker bar. The bar's wiring was faulty, and my amp fried the second I flipped on the switch, smoke and all. I therefore will NEVER plug my gear into ANY outlet without running through a quality power conditioner with a meter on it. Its just insurance.

I use a Korg rack-mount tuner. Its been with me for over 7 years, and still perfect. Previously, I went through "stomp-box" pedal tuners about one every two years. Its more economical in the long run to use the rack mount, for me.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    A power conditioner is basically a power strip in rackmount form. More expensive voltage regulators will actually regulate the voltage so they put out a constant 120V, but most of the power conditioners you see do not regulate the voltage, just protect against spikes and clean up interference a little.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    you can? QSC has such a good reputation and resale value that everywhere I look people are selling them used for the same price I can get them new from lord valve or life effects.

8. Now.... How would one hook all that stuff up, so that one could put it to good use?

Specifically... Where would you plus your power conditioner in to?

Also, I was looking at a BagEnd ELF processor, and a BagEnd cab with an 18" in it. Any suggestions?

~Zentner

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I think most people expect too much protection from a power conditioner, like it's going to protect the gear from all sorts of bad stuff that could happen, like overvoltage and extreme spikes. Unless it has voltage regulation, it won't do anything more than what most well-designed pieces of gear already do, though.

If you have a piece of equipment that has a poor or weak power supply and is thus sensitive to AC line quality, a power conditioner may help. Or if you're plugged into an AC circuit that also has lighting dimmers or neon signs or fluorescent lighting on it, it could help some other equipment that might be more susceptible to noise (it won't help noise induced in your magnetic pickups, though). In general, power amps themselves really don't need power conditioning.

10. To be honest, nothing. You won't make any more money, get any more gigs, or make any better music by adding to what you already have. I have a whole shed full of equipment that I have because I like having it and for no other reason. If you are getting a good sound and it is loud enough to get the job done, you've got just about everything you really need. I wish I could be satisfied with my gear and stop GASing for stuff that won't really make me any better. But, I'm a hopeless Bass Gear head. :bassist:

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Nothing.... you'll know when to upgrade. Believe me you'll know....... You''ll be at a gig or rehearsal and you'll start to notice things about your sound. You'll start analysing it and looking for ways to make more to YOUR liking. I can stress that enough - develop YOUR sound and bugger what everyone else is using.

B careful a disease and we call G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).... you've been warned.

12. haha, awesome, thanks guys!

~Zentner

13. Hi Zentner. Welcome to talkbass.:)

Re: More elite? Just wanted to make something clear on this…. IMO, Having a bass rig with separates has no correlation with being an ‘elite’ bassist. Some of the grooviest, shreddin’est bassists that play the local scene, do so with a simple combo. To me, they are the true ‘elite’, based on their reputation of ability to play above and beyond.

Where the power conditioner affects the power going to your amp, The sonic maximizer affects the audio. This isn’t the best explanation, so bear with me… In theory, the BBE performs a function of making subtle changes to the phasing of the higher and lower frequencies. It is adjustable (via front panel) and defeatable (via front panel or footswitch). The best way I can explain the effect it has on the sound is this: when used in moderation, it extends, or “polishes” the lows and highs. Not like turning up the bass and treble on an eq or amp’s tone controls, but in a more refined sounding way. I say in moderation, because if used to excess, it is a detriment rather than a benefit.

Being an owner of a BBE Sonic Maximizer, I tried using it with my bass rig. HATED it. My tone is (in my opinion) much more pure, true, and warm without it.

I do use the BBE for my “baby PA” in my basement… when playing CD’s, the BBE (again used in moderation) breathes oomph into sound, like a little badass DJ system. Oh yeah, we put in blue and red lightbulbs to add to the atmosphere as well. :cool:

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Walter Woods amps are in a class of their own. They are hard to get (Walter is a one man company, he builds his amps by hand) and expensive.

They are VERY small (about the size of a hardcover book) but the most amnazing poart is they weigh less than 8 pounds, regardless of wattage (which is a max of 1200 watts...:eek: ). He makes lower wattage amps (200, 450, 650) too, same features, size and weight just less power.

They have few modern features: no XLR out for DI, no Speakons, no fancy EQ, etc. they just sound good. The combination of good sound and easy portability is hard to beat.

They are far removed from any rack system, that's for sure.

15. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    [​IMG]

Actual size!! (Just kidding!)

16. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I have a rack setup with Power/Pre, but yesterday I got my Eden WT-400....screw racks!!! :bassist:

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sounds like you already got a heck of a rig to me

possibly a bit underpowered (a lot of amp head co.s rate their amps output liberaly and will give you the max wattage they can produce at 1 k) - they usually cant put out as much at 30 or 40 Hz

I use a swr electric blue 150 watt head and a 400 watt eden wt-400 - not a huge difference in volume but theoretically it should only be a 4 or 5 db jump

I love my stewart 2.1 poweramp and would be eaqually pleased with on of the qsc plx series - these amps are cool becase they are very light, 2 rack spaces, and sound great.

i use demeter and alembic preamps and love all four sound i am able to get when you consider i still use the heads

i use bagend and aguilar cabs,but would love to get some epi's and bergies

summarry - it's all good

18. Could i get some connections for Mr. Woods?

I've looked around on the net, and have found NOTHING about him anywhere. Any suggestions on where to look?

~Zentner

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have an AR1215 i got from GC as a demo for $50 or so.

voltage reg and all.

f

20. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Zentner, e-mail or PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

Scott