1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ive now taken the plunge into good srtings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by EAME, Jun 9, 2014.

1. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    Strings,yes i mean! [Spot of Dyslexia I think,!] i went fortheTHOMASTIK SPIROCORE WITH Orchestral tuning and a medium tension,so hoping these are a good choice
    are there some tips to recommend breaking these in?
    and in getting tuning to a low b without too much slack.
    am i gonna like for sure a la lazy blue sound playing style?
    and also good arco qualities
    these will be my benchmarkers in my quest for the resonators that will unlock this basses tonal qualities
    have i made a good choice today,friends?

Kind regards

eamonn

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

2. Depends on how you and your bass like the tension of regular Spirocores. If you like zing and high tension then these strings will last you for years.
    It sounds like you have just ordered your strings. Let us know what you think after you have played them for a couple of months. Nothing we say to you at this stage will matter much.....it's all your call now.

EAME likes this.
  3. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    thanks martinc thats about the thing to do now.Get used to them and play them in..I will keep you posted!

4. I would have ordered 4/4 Spiro Mittel S42. A bit less tension than much and longer is not bad for the Stagg because of the long underlengths.
    For a solid body EUB lke the Stagg better get softer strings than for an acoustic double bass. Spiro Weich 3/4 on a 105cm scale on my solid body Clevinger EUB feel much harder to play than the 4/4 Spiro Mittel on my 110cm scale acoustic double bass.
    Also the Stagg may not be able to hold the force of high tension strings like Spiro Mittel. So, to avoid damaging your tagg better get a softer Spiro like S42, 3880.xW, S42W or the 3/4 Solo Spiros (tuned down to orchestra tuning).
    Maybe you can still change the order from 3/4 to 4/4 or from Medium (Mittel) to Soft (Weich)?

5. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    HI there DM..
    Im not sure where the Stag EUB came from,maybe someone else?

no these are for my DB,at least I can feel what these are like.
    they are 3885,0 medium 3/4,a good as any place to start!
    Dyou know these strings?

6. kdrabbit

kdrabbit

Mar 18, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    EAME,
    I've used the medium (mittel) and the light (weich) strings and I tend to favor the weich's because my 58 year old hands just aren't what they used to be.

7. Sorry, EAME, I was mixing things up with a guy who wanted strings for his Stagg EUB.

For an acoustic DB the 3885,0 medium are OK. Depends a bit on the bass if it is too much tension or not. Some basses need to have less tension (specially older instruments that were built for gut strings).
    For me the Spiro medium (110cm scale and 4/4 strings) have been a bit too much for my hands, at least if I ue a high C that really cuts into the finger. With the G, staying a longer time in thumb position can be a bit hard too. The Weich (light) set would be a bit friendlier to the hands but with a little bit less power.

Sorry for mixing things up and irritating you.

8. kdrabbit: :D Exactly. I am in the "geezer" category. The Spiro Mittel E, Spiro Weich A and D and Oliv G combination I now have feels and sounds great on my Eberle ply. I hope this same combination will help me keep the strength in my hands and wrists for a few years yet!

EAME likes this.
  9. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    No prob mate,no bother ...i will have to see the Weich set tho.I will most probably have to drop to those as well!...start withe medium just in case I like them and take it from there

10. EAME

EAME

Feb 21, 2012
    I see what you mean..The Medium's dont suit my bass,far too much tension..Im now waiting for my Weich's to arrive.
    And now I have a set of Mediums for sale.Any offers?