1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've officially joined the "Don't Missmatch Cabs" club...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmchenry, Jul 23, 2012.

1. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I've been running a Peavey 115 with an SWR 210 out of an SWR head for a while now. When I first bought the rig, I didn't know much about frequency cancellation and all that good stuff you get bashed with when you suggest mismatching cabs on TB :). Anyway, the rig sounded good for me, even after I was properly indoctrinated, so I just figured I had gotten lucky and my cabs just played nice together.

Then, at band practice a few weeks ago, I was playing this one simple groove on one of our lighter songs. It's just a series of octave changes over top the rythm guitar part that creates some cool sounding harmony. Problem was, this time it sounded TERRIBLE. Every time I'd get to that part of the song it would be like someone was scratching a chalkboard with their fingernails.

I checked my tuning, and I was dead on. I had our guitar player check his tuning, and he was dead on. I kept asking "why does that sound so bad? Did I blow a driver or something?" And each time the other 2 band members would look at me all puzzled and reply "dude, what are you talking about? It sounds fine to me..."

So after the third time going through this crap, I finally walked over to where the guitar player was standing. He was right, it sounded fine from there. Walked behind the drummer and tried again, sounded great. Walked back in front of my cabs and everywhere from 5ft to about 18ft out directly in front just sounded "off." Almost like bad tuning, that's how off it sounded.

I sold my 115 today. In the market for another SWR 210...

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You practice someplace you can get 18ft. in front of your rig and still be in the same room?:D

Honestly, some of it might be the speaker thing. When you gig with mixed up cabs like that in bars and clubs, it makes spots where the bass is real strong and other spots where it's real weak.

Some may also just be room reflection stuff, which any speaker is susceptable to, just the mixed up designs make it an even bigger problem.

3. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did the same thing with Eden gear last year. :D

When you get your 2nd 210, stack 'em vertically!

:bassist:

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I would have sold the 210 and got another 115.
    But the SWR 210 is a good cab and a pair of them should work good for you.

5. I always try and stand farther away from my amp than the guitarist or drummer.
    I find it makes it easier to hear everything than if I am right on top of it.

6. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I am running a Berg HD112 and NL210, I see in some posts some folks don't think a 1x12 goes with a 2 x 10 and am wondering if that's why I don't totally love the sound currently, I am tempted to move the NL for a barefaced bigtwin. I think I would like more punch out of my set up.

Any sage advice out there?

Attached Files:

7. Looks like a Trace 1153.

Hard to go wrong with Barefaced.

lomo likes this.
  8. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Same thing happened to me years ago. Couldn't get a tight and balanced low end at the new rehersal place. I kept walking around the room and noticed that the sound changes drasticly. Interesting - no one in the band was concearned with this. Couldn't hear it or didn't care.
    Frustrated, I disconnected 4x10, left on 1x15 cab and the problem dissapeared.
    I told about this to the guy that rented place, but he dismissed my finding, saying no one ever complained. Much later, I read about it here, and why it takes place.
    I still honestly think that frequency cancelation is there with mismatched cabs more often than not, but a lot of basists simply can't hear it or don't care.

9. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I guess I'm a member of the club without even knowing about not mixing cabinets. I recently needed to get a rig that I could use for outdoor gigs that neither my Crate Limo TX50 nor Phil Jones Double Four could handle. 1stnamebassist turned me on to the build-to-order Carvin MB15 combo amp, and in the process of ordering it on sale with a neo speaker from their eBay store, I decided to include their matching 115MBE extension cabinet, also on sale. So now I have a great compact (12dx17wx18h) reasonably light weight rig of which I can use the amp alone at 200 watts (24.7 lbs), or with the perfectly matched extension cabinet (22.8 lbs.) at 250 watts, all for $810 out the door. (Seems like I've been posting my rig quite often in the last few days on different threads.)

Carvin rig and me.

10. Songbeard

Songbeard

Jan 2, 2016
    Dude, what exactly is that little Telecaster bass? Looks cool.

11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    When people come up with the absolute statements in this business; you can't do this ever, you can only do that, I get typing.

I was once told by a very talented cab designer, don't get hung up on mixing speakers. They either work or they don't.

Maybe mixing cabs from different manufacturers might have issues (although when I put together Berg and Epifani 10's I got good reports from out in the room), but having personal experience of mixing 10 and 15 EV drivers in Mesa Boogie cabs, Berg 10's and 12's and seen Genz, Barefaced and the new Mesa Subway series being designed to be mixed, I know that cabs can be mixed if they were designed that way, and I'm sure there are happy accidents, where gear just works.

Vince Klortho likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

Mantis Tobaggan and Jhonnybass like this.
  13. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Since I will only play really short scale basses, I designed the 22" scale mini Telecaster bass and had it custom made by Bruce Herron of Blue Star Guitar in Michigan for about $700, I provided the cheap electronics and hardware I got from China, he shaped and chromed the bridge. To be able to use stock short scale strings, he routed a chamber on the back with an anchor plate for the strings that go through the bridge. I used a set of flat wound La Bella Deep Talkin' Stainless Steel .049 -.109, but they're a little stiff, so I may change them to a lighter gauge.

Tele Bass build3.
    Tele with strap 700.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    JFOC and BasturdBlaster like this.
  14. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I have experienced similar issues with every combination of cabs, even with my 212 vertically stacked drivers.

Depending on room geometry there are sometimes very nasty room modes. I wouldn't claim room modes sounds like an out of tuned bass guitar but, depending on listening place it clearly sounds like somthing is very wrong.

Best way to fix this problem is to figure a better position for the cab (or stacked cabs) within the room.

Did you check the polarity of your cabs?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Vince Klortho likes this.
  15. Ya. Mismatched cabs can create a bad tone but room influences are independent.