I've only tried one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistGod, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Lakland Skyline 55-01

2 vote(s)
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-02

15 vote(s)
  3. G&L 2000 or 2500

22 vote(s)
  4. Peavey Cirrus

21 vote(s)
  5. Fender Geddy Lee sig

15 vote(s)
  1. I'm going to be buying a bass. I have narrowed it down to 5 choices: Lakland 55-01 or 55-02,G&l 2000(2500), Peavey Cirrus, or a Fender Geddy Lee sig. I've only tried the cirrus, awhile ago, and I liked it. I won't be able to try the rest of them. Will be buying used obviously. Leaving it up to your attempted non-biased opinions. :D
  2. They are all really good basses. Used, your best prices will probably be the G&L basses, and the Geddy Lee.

What kind of sound are you afrer? do you prefer active or passive? What kind of pick up config do you prefer?
  3. I'd rather have passive over just active, but a bass with both is even better. I think the laklands are. I don't have a particular sound in my head, but any good solid sound would be a step up from my current bass. Same with pickup config.
    Basically I'd just like to know which one you would choose. Is there one or two here that are just hands down better in your honest opinion? Since I can't try all of them, I'd like to hear comments on why you like one over the other.
  4. "Better" is entirely subjective. If I were going to buy a bass from that list, price notwithstanding, this would be the order.

1) Lakland 55-02
    2) Peavey Cirrus
    3) G&L L2500 or 2000
    4) Lakland 55-01
    5) Geddy Lee

I would have rated the Geddy lee higher but I really don't like the slim jazz necks.

Also, you may want to upgrade your amp before you upgrade your bass. A nice bass played through a small or crappy amp (I don't know what type of amp you are using) with sound mediocre at best. But, IME a nice amp will make a not so nice bass sound better.

In my case, I was still using my little POS fender 15 watt amp, when I had a Squier, an Essex, and a Yamaha. they all sounded ok, but when I got my SWR, my basses sounded so much better it was unbelieveable.

Edit: I just saw you run through an Ampeg, so you should be fine as far as your amp.
  5. Chaos,
    I run through a firebass700 and an ampeg 410hlf. Hey I see you said lakland 55-02, but there isn't a vote for it in the poll. So Vote! And thanks for the input. How would the geddy stack up soundwise?
  6. The Geddy Lee sounds like a very nice Jazz bass.

I think they are better than the MIA jazz, but it's all about the neck. I just don't dig Jazz necks.
  7. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    If you want a bass with alot of different tones, go with the G&L. The Geddy Lee Jazz is a very nice bass, but it will always sound like a Jazz, not very many tonal possibilities. With my G&L L2000 I can sound like a Jazz, Precision, and get alot of different tonal possibilities. You can go active or passive with the flick of a switch. Its a nice versatile bass.
  8. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    This would be the order of my voting too. BTW, in the poll I voted 55-02.

I feel the 55-02 gives you good tonal variation and the extended range with a wider spacing, which I prefer. Plus, I like the warmer sound of the Barts. The Cirrus is more "modern".

Besides tone, string spacing on a 5-string plays a major role IMO. The Lakland's are "normal". The Peavey is adjustable from normal to narrow. The G&L L2500 is narrow. While I find the tone of a G&L pleasing, the spacing is too narrow for *me*.

As far as 4-string the standard L2000 is P width neck, but you can special order Jazz width. Obviously the Geddy is Jazz width.
  9. The GL plays nice and does sound nice, but I say go for the Cirrus. I love my 5 and wouldn't trade it for anything (but I might outright buy something else one day <G>).
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My lineup too although I could go either way on 1 and 2:

1) Lakland 55-02
    2) Peavey Cirrus
    3) G&L L2500 or 2000
    4) Lakland 55-01
    5) Geddy Lee

The Cirrus with its woods and neck through is a really nice looking bass with a great basic signature honk. Very well made. The 55-02 will give you Barts and preamp and a wide array of tones, but a feel a little less that the USA model. The G&L 2500 will be Lakland USA quality workmanship, but I haven't had the personal experience with it. Geddy Lee just doesn't have the tonal options of the 55-02, Cirrus or G&L.
  11. need more votes....must see a consensus:(
  12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    From what I read, the 55-02 has the guts of the 55-94. If so, my 55-94 compared to my Cirrus was like a BMW (Lakland) and a Mustang GT (Cirrus). More of everything. Now the Cirrus will feel in your hands better made than the 55-02.
  13. what about the 55-01's. Some people prefer their sound over the more expensive 55-02. I think embellisher and some others do. Are they that tonally different? BTW how are the G&L Sb-2's?
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a 55-01 with the upgraded preamp... i love it to death, wouldn't get rid of it.... I am also working on getting a 55-02. I think the world of the both of them, and will probably end up keeping both of them for a very long time.... I also have a Geddy Lee, and would never get rid of that either. Sorry if this doesn't help much, but I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the three...

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    As a man about the bass world, I've learned many things.... Don't buy copies, no third world countries, go with the tried and true original.

Among your choices, here's what I'll say:

Peavey: Always trying to scoot up next to a legend. The Cirrus basses (and they are nice, don't get me wrong) are just a copy of modulus and tobias. Yes, that's a good combo, but you might as well go for a used Modulus at that point.

Skyline: I've heard a lot of good things about these basses. I also heard a lot of good things about conklin groove tools. You know what? The groove tools had a LOT of shortcomings, despite the spec sheets. These are made in Korea. If you are looking for lakland, you should probably get a Lakland

Fender Geddy: It's a japanese fender, which is a good thing. If you like rush, geddy, or fender j basses, by all means, it's good. But I hate fenders because the A string rattles and I like active basses. If I lost my marbles though and decided to get a fender bass, I'd get a japanese one like this.

That's why I voted for G&L: US made originals, not copies. They have incredibly functional preamps and custom made pickups. The design was what Fender should have realized when Leo left... people want quality and variety. They took a basic design and updated it. Sadowsky did it for $3000. Lakland did this too, but for $2800. The G&L basses are relatively inexpensive for what they are and therefore get my vote.
  16. BlindSide

Oct 11, 2002
    Wausau, WI
    I'd go with the Cirrus.

It's the only bass I own now and will never buy another one. First time in 25+ years an instrument cured me of GAS.

Every time I even think about buying another one...it just seems so pointless now.

Of course I've tried a ton of Cirrus's and still do from time to time. I'm not saying that every Cirrus will do that for you 'cause they sure don't for me either.

I must have got my hands on one exceptional Cirrus though because not one single other Cirrus feels as good as the one I got.
  17. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Out of that list, I've gotta go with the Cirrus. I'd personally prefer an Ibanez BTB 1000 series over any of the ones on the list (granted I haven't tried the Lackland's).
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are a lot of apples and oranges in this poll. All of them are decent basses.

And you know that I have to say Cirrus!:D
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The 55-02(and 55-94) are smooth and refined sounding. They work great in country, jazz, rock, wherever you need a quasi Fender sound.

They are too polite sounding for me.

The 55-01 is more aggressive sounding. Cuts through loud guitars very nicely. With an upgraded preamp, the 55-01 is a killer bass at a great price.