Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I've recorded some new songs (one a Victor Wooten cover), let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AJ Love, Jan 22, 2003.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Cool...I'm excited, thats one of my favorite vic songs.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    any comments/feedback/etc?

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Are you sure that is a Wooten song?

I'm not sure if it's the drums the bass or my computer speakers but nothing seems to groove. It's all really choppy. I only listened to a minute or so of each song so I could be wrong in my assessment. But so far I don't like it. You have any other tracks we could hear?

5. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Indeed, I didn't recognize it as U Can't Hold No Groove either.

(Disclaimer! Not trying to be a jerk here.)
    I listened to all three songs there and while I really like the jazzy stuff done fingerstyle (much better than I can do!) the slap/pop parts sound too...forced or something.

I didn't "feel" the groove on any of the songs. Like you and the drummer are not quite locking in maybe....

6. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    hey thanks for listening, I appreciate the feedback

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    NO offence, but since you asked...

You should concentrate on timing. You and the drummer are totally off, and I don't think it's the drummer.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'd have to agree. Drummer seems very solid with his timing. Bass sounds as if you were still not quite comfortable with your parts, so timing is a bit off.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The comment about the "Forced" slap line...seems the most accurate...it did seme a little bit forced, like you weren't grooving but merely trying to use a technique, That said, I found that though the groove was choppy for the wooten song, it seemed to fit into place on it own, though apart from the drums, it made for a VERY funky listening experience, so while its something that did not seem to be intentional, I enjoyed it for that alone...however don't use that as an excuse or anything, the only way you can go off beat and slack and get away with it is if you can consistently play with perfect timing otherwise.

your overall sound was pretty cool though...you have vics tone down pretty well....My Fodera is Pre-pope preamp, so I don't get the Victor Tone, but I do get tones that I really like.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    again, I appreciate the feedback.....the intention going on with these songs is to create polyrthyms between the drums/bass, as opposed to one (traditional) locked in groove. sort of a slightly avante-garde approach to funk/jazz

how successful we were at creating those polyrthyms depends upon who you ask, I suppose :)

and I do sincerely appreciate the feedback, whether its negative or positive, as this is a lifelong pursuit and I am always working at getting better. plus its just interesting getting an idea of what people are hearing, as everyone hears things slightly different