I've seen lots of things but I've never seen this...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I played a big corporate event at the Hilton Baltimore last Thursday. Played it last year, too.

This year when I went to check into the hotel, there were a bunch of colorful people on the check-in line. Some had instruments... I thought some Grateful Dead thing or something was happening. I was kinda in my own world though, just wanted to get to my room. I get my room key, head over to the elevator and get in with a guy who looks something like this:

View attachment 3099373

It's a long ride to the 17th floor, so I have to ask. "What kind of convention is going on here, I'm clueless?" He smiles and says quickly, "Miliipnobronycaa." My hearing is shot, so I asked again, and he repeats the same thing. I nodded, made like I understood him, he smiled and politely wished me well when I got off the elevator.

I meet up with my band mates and they tell me what's going on.

My Little Pony Bronycon.

Adults only.

OK.

I'm too old for this. I have an open mind, the people all seemed really nice, but I don't get it. I have zero understanding of what this is about. I haven't had a chance yet to Google details, but if anyone has any experience or knowledge, please share.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Pretty sure it's a Satanic cult. Stay away.

3. That's somethin else raht there.

4. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Yup, as long as you’re not hurting or harassing others, you be you, whatever makes you happy go for it!

Diversity keeps the world interesting, and a bit more amusing at times too.

But yes, for your own piece of mind, sometimes it’s best to smile & nod & move along.
    You can drive yourself nuts if you try too hard to figure out people’s personal motivations to do what they do.

I dont know much about the “Brony” thing, but I do think it’s wise not to google it on a work computer, and probably hold on for an interesting ride! Ha!

(Best thing about these convention centers... sometimes you get the craziest mix of people in the common areas who attending two concurrent, but thematically polar opposite shows at the same venue. Ha! I’ve seen Some good ones!)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    RSBBass, GlennRH, El-Bob and 19 others like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I had to look it up. Apparently there are lots of My Little Pony conventions. This one was one of the biggest several years ago, raising money for charities. Their website says the attendance has been dwindling so next year will be the last one. The photos of attendees are pretty wild, as evidenced by the guy Joe talked to.

The costumes and colors look like candy kid refugees from the rave days. :laugh:

Not my thing either but they appear to be a happy lot. :)

Christine, Winoman, Bassology and 6 others like this.
  6. That's why I always take the stairs.:cool:

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

And I thought ComicCon was weird.

mylittlepony.jpg

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    If they're offending you, they're doing it right.

Exxi3, xaxxat, Woofer and 15 others like this.
  10. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    TB never ceases to amaze!!

11. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    A guy at my work is a self-described "Brony", the definition of which is apparently a grown man who likes "My Little Pony". He has stickers on his vehicle and everything. Nice enough guy, and to each his own, but I think that's something I'd keep to myself.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This is why I'm a decent, law-abiding citizen. It has nothing to do with my moral compass....I'm just afraid folks like this will end up on my jury panel.

Riis

13. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    first I laughed. Then, I remembered that it's mostly an aesthetic- not unlike people wearing blue blue-jeans and NASCAR jackets, sandals and cargo shorts, or dressing like Don Draper. Unfortunately for the bronies, it's far from the norm, so they have to have conventions to release their pent up visual needs.

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Cosplayers are only a teeny-tiny fraction of the subculture, and the flamboyant ones are highly controversial within it, too.

So that severely skews the normie's perception of it.

equill likes this.
  15. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I never had a Pony ;)

16. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    It's not any stranger than the Leotines who dress up like P basses with tort and flats. Some like to stand out in the mix and others want to sit in the mix.

17. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I remember it was big when the new iteration of My Little Pony was airing for the first time.

I did watch a few episode and it is a really positive cartoon with kinda lesson on friendship and stuff like that with very colorful caracter both visually and in their personallity.

What I liked the most was that the cast is almost all Canadian with only the lead caracter voiced by an American

Misfit Wookiee, Dec1975 and murphy like this.
  18. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've been labeled a brony by some of my friends. In reality I'm just a dad with two girls under the age of 8, and My Little Pony just so happens to be some of the best animated programming available to them.

The series eventually gets into very Tolkein and D&D inspired lore territory which I appreciate, and they don't shy away from nerdy adult references - especially through guest voice-talent, all while having that super cute "friendship" oriented exterior.

For anybody that doesn't get it, I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss it as just another throwaway kids show.

That being said, you're not going to see me cosplaying as Rainbow Dash anytime soon.

Mr_Moo, ituobrey, Winoman and 16 others like this.
  19. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    Bless their hearts

20. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    You must be from South Canadia. I know exactly what that means down here.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021