I've seen lots of things but I've never seen this...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 30, 2018.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    This all the way...

I had a friend of mine get in a serious life threating motorcycle accident...The odds of him surviving was against him and when he finally made it out of rehab He basicially became a lot like the crowd in question.

None of our friends question it and it's whatever works for you is right.

Cheers

Mr_Moo, RobTheRiot, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Golf

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    No, it’s ok to judge golfers. ;)

equill, Haroldo, Andre678 and 5 others like this.
  4. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I didn't see anyone like this when I visited the Middle East last year.

5. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    And that's probably for the best for anyone that wants to dress like that and lives in the Middle East. I have a feeling it wouldn't go over so well there.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    the harp unstrung likes this.
  6. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida

During my misspent youth, I was billeted to the guard detachment on a missile cruiser. We were en-route to Argentina and made a port of call in Jamaica. Being young and foolish, when our squad went ashore, I heavily over-indulged in the local adult beverages...Jamaican over-proof rum, in this instance.

Needless to say, in short order, I got totally $#!+-faced and embarrassing as it is to admit, at the urging of my shipmates, I had my way with a parrot we'd captured...

I think that's my long-lost son!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    ak56, SirMjac28 and the harp unstrung like this.
  7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    They were all at the convention in Baltimore also held there in 2017 apparently.

8. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I heard of this My Little Ponies Bronie stuff but never seen it in person myself...almost thought it was not even a real thing and was just a meme or joke...guess it's very real.

9. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    I have vague memories of "my little pony" in the early 90's. I've not heard about them since that time...

10. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    upload_2018-7-31_8-6-38.png

Apart from the guys that dress up like Rainbow Dash, I think mlp is one of the greatest things to have happened to tv in general. Here’s a few reasons:

1.- they have a bass playing pony, Octavia (technically it’s supposed to be a cello but look at the stance , that’s a bass )
    2.- the mark on their flank , known as a “cutie mark” , represents their purpose in life /destiny (they all get one). How cool is that message ?
    3.- they always solve their problems by means of logic and ethics , not some fairy godmother that solves things for them.
    4.- Extremely positive message about friendship. On many episodes , the characters will put the group’s happiness before their own ego/bad ethical choices. Phrases like “I can’t do this to my friends” are often part of the climatic scene.
    5.- Love and romance issues (as in couples) are left out of the show.
    6.- extremely positive messages about being yourself , feeling good in your own shoes , doing what is right , each person having their own talents , accepting diversity (no sexual undertones) , conquering your fears, etc.

I’m not a brony BTW, I’ve just pretty much watched cartoons all my life , and this one just basically has everything you could wish for. I mean , every positive thing.

Greatest thing to have come out of Canada since hockey.

Mr_Moo, BassCliff, equill and 3 others like this.
  11. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    For me, that would be Big Wreck/Thornley/Ian Thornley.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  12. I don’t care what anyone does as long as they’re not hurting anyone. With that said, I would be perfectly happy never seeing any these people.

13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I don't get it, but I'm a weirdo in my own ways. I've self-sabotaged myself from having any fun and enjoying myself that any sort of convention or fandom seems weird to me...

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Not offended at all. Fascinated.

They all seemed like a really nice, fun bunch of people. I admired the camaraderie that had for each other too.

Mr_Moo, equill, Jim Kernan and 2 others like this.
  15. I do think it is odd, but "to each his own".

I did get grossed out when my wife told me some of the brony conventions include cosplay sex.
    That's something you can't un-see!

16. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I think it's ok for people to do stuff like this. I also think it's ok for people to think it's stupid, funny and ridiculous, and laugh heartily at it. Now excuse me while I dress up like Gene Simmons in a diaper and blow bubbles in my front yard.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  17. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    this....2 years ago my wife went to a "Time out for Women" with about 500 other Mormon women at Pasadena convention center. Next door was "Alien-con" with about 500 aliens and alien enthusiasts. The looks each group gave each other...priceless.

RobTheRiot and catcauphonic like this.
  18. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    This week is Bronycon, next week is Furrycon. Stay safe out there.

19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Here you go:

C0B20C2F-9222-4CEC-BF28-346CBAF52EC0.png

elgranluis, Misfit Wookiee and BOOG like this.
  20. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I don't really think it's odd to be into any fantasy creation like My Little Pony or others. I don't think it's odd to go and hang out with other fans of that creation either, hell, I've been to several conventions for things I'm into, but I think there is a point where it becomes unhealthy. I think when someone is so focused on something that it becomes their entire identity, there's an underlying issue akin to mental illness. Please don't misinterpret that statement as "all bronies are mentally ill". It's just so very reminiscent of young children and how focused they are on one thing.

For example, I love the lore and story of the Warcraft universe, but it would be a bit unhealthy if I decided to live my life as an Orc and expected everyone else I meet in my daily life to participate.

Matthew_84, 7dollarbologna and mmon77 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021