I've seen lots of things but I've never seen this...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 30, 2018.

1. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Sure it is odd but I think everyone is odd

2. Escapism. Camaraderie. Other fun stuff.

Music does it for me, but I'm not trying to make a living at it.

3. MD Stingray

MD Stingray Guest

Jan 17, 2008
    To them we are odd, wearing all the same jeans and t-shirt.

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    There's a netflix documentary about Bronys...

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    How is this different from a costume party?

Robert B likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

my closest memories to the thread subject are from the 60's. blotter or purple microdot if orange sunshine wasn't available....:laugh:

sure...like actually thinking you're a real musician! :laugh:

try the blotter! changes everything. :laugh:

Bunk McNulty, MattZilla and The Rage like this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

ROFLMAO!!!! You just won the Internet today with that one.

lethargytartare likes this.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Amen. That is very much to the point.

I have two daughters who watched some My Little Pony shows on VHS tape back in the 90's.

After renting a few of those programs, we returned them and quickly enlarged our collection of Disney stuff. I can stand seeing almost any Disney product 10-15 times, but the second time through a My Little Pony show I was ready to take a hammer to the VCR. My wife felt the same way. Soon my kids were watching Doug, Rug Rats, Angry Beavers and other Nickelodeon shows. I also turned them on to Ren & Stimpy.

I nearly got diabetes from being exposed to those excessively "sweet" shows.

If those folks enjoy MLP, then "bless your hearts," live long and prosper, just don't ever ask me to see any of it. I'm allergic.

9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A kid's franchise that has found unexpected success with adults? No big deal. No stranger than a grown man being into Star Wars, Transformers, Muppets, or Spider Man, if you ask me.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    equill likes this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    For the record, I can't stand the 90's? whenever it was earlier version of the show, and I could see how some could find the new one grating - you actually have to get past the cutsey, squeeky exterior to appreciate it, which I admit is difficult.

With that being said, it definitely won me over, and I consider myself to be pretty particular. Thew new MLP is one of the few current kids shows that I can stomach that isn't produced by Disney (which are mostly fairly high quality, though lately they've been letting me down). I can only think of maybe one or two others that I'd give high marks to... outside of Disney I give serious credit to Little Lunch and Floogals as well.

11. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    I, too, have a young daughter who loves MLP. I've seen all of it. ALL OF IT. My favorite episode opens inside a bowling alley, where you can see all of the characters from The Big Lebowski in pony form. That, and the Yakkity-Sax/Benny Hill chase scene are my favorites. There's plenty of references for adults in the show, which I take as a nod of respect from the writers.

For kids' programming, it's pretty good. Unlike Caillou. Or worse, Sid the Science Kid.

12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I mean, come on - they recreated "Q" for the show as a recurring baddie that's actually voiced by John de Lancie. Those Discord episodes are some of my favorites.

Misfit Wookiee and Dec1975 like this.
  13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    So you're saying you don't like it

Frank77, MattZilla, oldrocker and 2 others like this.
  14. electrichead

electrichead

Nov 29, 2013
    Whatever you do, do not google "r/clopclop". Rule 34 in full effect.

MattZilla likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The cosplay world is its own thing that’s for sure. I’m not into Trekkies or tge StarWars crewes myself. But the steampunk crowd is definitely amazing. Who’d have thought crazed Victorian could be so stunning. The steampunk ladies in particular are friendlier (and prettier) than most cosplayers too based on my own experience. Less skin on display than some of the midriff flashing StormTroopers or Princess Leias. But they don’t lose anything by it IMO.

D90D4B13-64B3-4026-AE32-599D6BDB7296.jpeg

Matthew_84, ficelles and MattZilla like this.
  16. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Eschew Obfuscation
    Sing it with me now...

"My little Pony,
    Tastes like baloney..."

Used to drive my daughter nuts. When she asked what kind of meat we were eating for dinner that night, guess what I would answer? I guarantee however that she will sing it to her offspring in time. And the great circle of life continues.

Strange that I am vegetarian now.

17. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Cloppers are another matter entirely!

18. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    This!

Kro and InhumanResource like this.
  19. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Absolutely. These folks aren't bothering anyone, so who cares? Let them have fun.

20. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Eh could be worse things roaming around Baltimore. I'd rather have them than the squeegee kids.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021