I've seen lots of things but I've never seen this...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 30, 2018.

1. I'm in a weird position in that my job will require me to work on various media, and MLP (new and old) has been through my fingers.

The newer MLP (with de Lancie, in all his "Q" glory) is far and away superior to the '90s stuff. Better message, better stories, better... you name it, pretty much. I recently had to watch the "My Little Pony" movie from 1986 and not even Rhea Perlman, Danny DeVito, Cloris Leachman, Madeline Kahn, nor Tony Randall could save it. The late '80s/early '90s MLP was a cash grab; the current MLP is about empowerment. Like others before me, I wouldn't consider myself a Brony but instead can respect the show for its merits, like I respect Gravity Falls for inserting a love of SciFi/X-Files into its kid programming. I've watched worse kids' stuff through my job, but few better.

As for the previous mention regarding the darker side of Bronydom, @pcake said it best:

*cough cough* Star Wars fanboys *cough cough*

I seriously question how so many kids who worshipped Luke and Han grew up to join the Empire...

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Have you seen the latest movie yet? I took my oldest to it while it was in theaters... and I have to admit the thought that went through my head after it was over was just that - "cash grab". I dunno, maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but it didn't seem to be on par with the series.

pcake and Pilgrim like this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I don't judge people by how they dress. Diversity is now more important than it ever was. Too much of the "H" word going around nowadays.

Edit: I'm wondering about how this question was filed under "humor....?"

catcauphonic likes this.
  4. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It looks ok, but if reapets saying that thing = it's bad.

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Technically a gig story. :)

Haroldo, Misfit Wookiee and MattZilla like this.
  6. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I'm with ya Joe! For a few seconds there, I was the mayor!

7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Ahh...the good old days. 2009. Badass ponies, although without Wu Tang. Some kinda mope-rock. Smiths?

pcake likes this.
  8. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    The Howard Stern show has sent correspondents to interview participants at other Brony-cons and those cats are definitely at the far end of the bell curve. Personally, I don't get it and find it pitiable. It can't be easy going through life as an adult male who's obsessed with My Little Pony.

But, hey, there are people who look at me sideways when I tell them I own four bass guitars.

Jimmy4string and DeltaTango like this.
  9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well since I was literally member #4 of the Brony Bassist Club...I guess I should weigh in on a couple of things I read in the comments (browsed through all of them).

1) "Why are a bunch of grown men into a show for little girls?"
    - There are plenty of teen guys and even boys (ages 4 and up) who like the show. I had several female friends with sons who were worried about them watching the show. I couldn't tell you exactly why they all like it, but most of them are terrified to admit liking it for exactly what we are seeing here in this thread. You also need to ask yourself, why this show and why now? Why aren't these guys dressing as Barbie or some other product line marketed to girls?

2) "...show for little girls" part 2
    - This is something that occurs a LOT with anime that gets brought to America, but I'll come back to that. My assumption is the main cast members being female plus the name and aesthetic lends people to think the show is geared towards girls. Fair enough, that's pretty consistent with most American's perceptions, but I'd also hearken everyone back to the 90's when the creator of Dexter's Lab also made a show called the Powerpuff Girls. I doubt the name and aesthetic could get any more feminine than that, but the show wasn't exclusively for girls by any stretch of the imagination. The characters were well-written and the show was funny and entertaining for anyone. You ran into plenty of guys who loved the show openly despite it having a very feminine aesthetic. The new MLP is basically in the same boat.

Back to anime, several series that are geared solely towards guys (they label them shounen for younger guys and seinen for older guys) feature an all-female cast and some shows never have any guys at all. Do some of these series feature "fan service"? Yes, definitely, but many do not...not to mention this isn't always as demonized in Japan as it is here. Point being, it's a bit of a stretch to say that a nation of people have a male population that are "mentally ill" because they happen to like a show with a predominantly female cast and aesthetics that aren't blood, entrails, and pentagrams everywhere.

3) "These people are just fulfilling sick fantasies"
    - Already answered very succinctly by two or three other members, but just to reiterate...any subculture or fandom is going to have people who take things waaaaay too far and into sick territory.

Another thing that's going to kill my street cred, I also play D&D on a regular basis and am currently DM'ing a campaign I wrote. Several people are also afraid to admit to playing or being interested in D&D for social pressure reasons, but that's another tangent. Most people enjoy the role playing and creativity in the game, it's basically improv theater with a very broad and malleable setting. Every now and then, you get somebody who just takes things in a super weird and unhealthy direction...such as wanting to go on a rape-fest (usually going into way too much detail) or some other sick thing that is obviously something they fantasize about. Because that person or even several do this doesn't mean we need to castigate the perfectly normal populous of fans who are "law-abiding citizens" with day jobs who just so happen to find the show amusing. It's not good to center your entire life around a show, but I'd wager most of them aren't doing that.

4) [anticipated response] "Plucky, you don't list your club # or say anything about watching it now....what gives?"
    - Honestly, all the negative PR and Lauren Faust leaving (around season 2) brought the show down a lot in my opinion. It's very hard to not get demonized for liking the show, so I will admit cowardice when I say that I don't really talk about it with others. I found myself taking a liking to more anime shows and felt the content available was superior. If the subject comes up, like here, I will stick up for those who are "normies" that like the show but I don't find myself going to conventions. In all fairness though, I don't really attend conventions in general anyhow.

One thing I did take away from it is an awareness of this absolutely ingrained disgust that many American guys have for anything remotely cute or aesthetically feminine. I still can't say why some stuff makes me cringe, but it took some time to stop and a lot of it came from having nieces and such...you have to hang up the ego in order to be a good uncle and to me that's a lot more important than my "man card" being intact. It doesn't mean that I think less of people for not being on-board with or liking this, but I'd analogize this to my views on heavy metal music. I like some of it, but I personally find the satanic aesthetics to be dated and a lot of the newer music comes off as uninteresting to me. I think it goes without saying there are several musicians who play this genre exclusively and are insanely talented...but I can acknowledge the talent and make peace with it while not having to deride it or assume people playing it are "mentally ill".

Just the same as sports fans can look crazy with body paint and rioting in the streets when their favorite team loses, you can see that there are people from nearly any walk of life that "take things to an unhealthy level". It doesn't hurt to try and be objective when observing fandom or any hobby, to be honest....even our beloved search of that one.perfect.bass...

10. I live in downtown Baltimore... and well, this weekend is always good for people watching it's still a gigantic *** moment.

11. ptensioned

ptensioned

Jan 12, 2013
    Hamilton, ON
    Bronies to me are a branch of a broader fetishization of childhood that seems to be taking a much larger place in Western culture. The rise of ComicCon, the various 'fan' communities online, the near total dominance of superhero movies as blockbusters, the list is a long one.

I'm desperately trying not to sound patronizing about this, as I'm a Christian and others would (and will) sneer at my faith in what they smugly call an imaginary man in the sky. But I do think a lot of this is a product of huge anxiety about people finding their place in a modern world with few certainties. Fears are amplified at every turn, particularly online, and the emptiness of consumption is being offered as the primary solution. Faced with that, the retreat to a world where community matters, evils are defeated, and everyone gets along in the end seems to be a logical defence mechanism.

I'll also add, though, that my son was into the show at about the age of 9-10, and he ran into some alarming predatory elements that were enough for us to report and him to be put off for good. As others have pointed out, it's hardly unique to that world, but I do think that the combination of an obsession with the childish nature of the show along with base human desires can have some truly awful consequences. There's also the whole incel and 'men's rights' piles of garbage that can sometimes gather in these sorts of worlds, though I tend to see that more as a product of the echo chamber internet culture.

Still, just because his experience was a negative one doesn't mean that's true for many, and it generally seems to be a positive thing in the lives of those who participate, so who are we to judge?

12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Neither did I, but I rode a few over the years.

The first time I ever encountered the full onslaught of costumed people was a ComiCon a few years ago. I had absolutely no idea what was going on, but the amount of effort and expense that went into some of the costumes was obviously very high. It's not my thing, exactly, but then what I do isn't their thing, either. I think it's great. That said, I had never heard of a bronnie until this thread.

dbase likes this.
  13. @Joe Nerve Im kind of confused. Im assuming you didnt have this picture already on your computer. So where did you find the pic and how fast?.....that you "havent had a chance yet to Google details"
    Im sure finding the pic would have taken longer than finding the details of something this obvious.

Sir...that is a head scratcher.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Plucky The Bassist and Gaolee like this.
  14. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    Yes, because we in the Midwest have never seen a gay person. The mere sight of the Pride Parade is a new and frightening experience for us. If only we were as enlightened as those on the coasts. :rolleyes:

Twin Cities Pride | Parade

electrichead and SteveC like this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

You’d be surprised at what happens in flyover country. The coasts always think they’re the only ones with things happening.

mmon77 likes this.

16. My daughter did grow out of the MLP thing by about age 12. She did sneak into the last movie, but did not let any of her friends know. She liked MLP. A lot.

Could not stand Caillou. Switched off before one episode was through. Sid the Science Kid is evil.

I'm now selling all the MLP curtains, comforters, figurines and hooded, winged sweatshirt, if anyone's interested.

17. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    A bit of baseball trivia. The My Little Pony penom is well entrenched in MLB. For example, on the Minnesota Twins the pitching staff carries bull pen baseballs out to the bullpen in a MLP backpack. The newest pitcher on the roster has to carry the bag every game until there is some newer on staff. Happens with other clubs too. MLP rules

18. City

City Supporting Member

I am playing three wizarding festivals (based on Harry Potter, but they can't say that (proprietary)) the next three months. Bass for three gigs, its different, wear a cape, cover my head lol, and play Harry Potter music...second festival we are one of 5 bands warming up for "Draco and the Malfoys'.....I was asked to be the bassist for a Potter band, I just play, I don't judge. I truly suspect I will move on after these festivals, but I took a leap, it might be fun, and I'm learning different stuff. Yes I will do a gig report....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Jimmy4string and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  19. Ain't that the dang truth.

20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    When a society becomes more tolerant of BS, you don’t get a more vibrant, diverse, creative society in which all can thrive and better reach their full potential as human beings and individuals, all you get is more BS.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Zero judgement and advocacy for intolerance, Just an observation from the last 60 years. Live long enough and we all leave as strangers in a strange land

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021