I've seen lots of things but I've never seen this...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 30, 2018.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    There should be a Count Duckula equivalent subculture... that was a kid’s cartoon with some very dark adult references...

“Is it safe?”

Chris76 likes this.
  2. i was thinking "silver hawks"

3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Want to start by saying I read your entire post twice and I am keeping the part quoted in mind as I write this, don't want it to sound defensive or like I'm attacking you...

I get that escapism can seem and can be dangerous, but we're not encountering a new concept, just a new medium. People obsessed over sports (back to Greek Olympics and Roman Gladiators) centuries ago. Theater and literature could be used to educate or as trashy amusement. Rock music, television, hotrodding cars....people have been trying to cope with life's monotony for centuries (often using alcohol or drugs as well), these are just new methods of doing that.

That to say, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sluggards gonna slug and fools gonna fool (#Proverbs), people in general just need to learn some self-control and stop letting society tell them accountability doesn't apply to them. There's plenty more things to worry about in the West than ponies and Pokemon, but I don't think that was your intention with that post.

Also sorry to hear about the experience your son had, it's sad that anyone has to go through that, terrible that it had to be related to something he liked. Would also like to reiterate that I appreciate how you ended your post.

Kro and Toolmybass like this.
  4. bass12

bass12 Turn up the Eagles - the neighbours are listening Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Funny things can happen when people don't get enough playtime as children... :p

wesonbass likes this.
  5. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    This anxiety has been part of the human condition since the beginning of time. It's not modern at all.

Can I just add that I think it's amazing this thread has gotten to 7 pages and not devolved into the usual troll-fest one finds on other online forums. This is a great community.

Jimmy4string, Misfit Wookiee and Kro like this.
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, from what I've been told, MLP is very popular in the autism/Asperger's community. Adults on the spectrum say that the show has a positive message, is not triggering or upsetting, and teaches good lessons about emotions and social skills. I see that as a really positive thing. :)

xaxxat, Haroldo, pcake and 4 others like this.
  7. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Baltimore seems the right place for this event. John Waters is pleased.

AaronVonRock, Haroldo and Mushroo like this.
  8. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    I can't believe I read the whole thread.

Never knew a thing about all this until I read about it here. Sounds benign, and the positive values some of the other members have talked about in the shows is really a plus in my book (anybody remember what a book is?) Grown men who are into a little girl fad, if I understand this correctly, gives me the creeps, just a bit. If ever we needed Mostly Harmless pastimes, this must be it, though, and I suspend judgement. I'm into switchblades and model airplanes, repugnant to all decent folk; I cannot cast the first stone.

I like steampunk, except too many top hats and goggles. But at least it's mostly adult-ish.

What amazes me is that you can find an enclave of just about any type these days. Brave new internet.

Now, as to the hello kitty tattoo on my kneecap, I swear, I don't know how it got there.

Tom

wesonbass, Pilgrim and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have no heartburn with Bronies or anyone who loves Tolkien, Star Wars, Star Trek, or Warner Brothers cartoons. (Whatever moves ya...)

But I have never been able to visualize how MLP and Powerpuff girls could possibly be primarily targeted at anyone but young girls. I'm sure some other audiences watch them, but I don't think there's much question what demographic was targeted by the creators. I found their messages to be positive, but they are pretty obviously time filler. No problem, so are the classic Warner Brothers cartoons I like...and like most TV, it's time filler with escapism built in.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  10. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just posting to echo the great community standpoint. Even at its worst, the level of civility on this forum is miles above what I've experienced on similar forums for my other interests. So much so that I pretty much can't bare to participate in any of the others. Here's hoping that never changes. :)

Chris76 and Pilgrim like this.
  11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    in the show? Or did you bring him to a convention?

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That's pretty cool. I enjoy hearing positive things like this, especially when they come from an unexpected direction.

Mushroo likes this.
  13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    There's pretty much a French-Canadian enclave at both the KOA and TravelPark. They haul their 5th wheels down, set-up their respective encampments, and await word from the Ministry of Defense to begin the annexation of Virginia Beach proper. As a self-designated diplomat, I proclaim "welcome to Virginia Beach...spend your money...now go home."

Riis

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Rock musicians commenting negatively or looking askance on other people's hobbies?

MattZilla and xaxxat like this.
  15. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

...same thing in Texas.

16. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa

I can’t believe this is a thing. An absolutely brilliant thing.

ATLbassist and Mushroo like this.
  17. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Trop cool... :roflmao:

18. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Going to go out an a short limb and say these are Furries and they like dressing up as My Little Pony when they have sex.

Mushroo likes this.
  19. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Thee is a lot of truth to - and studies to support - this statement. Many countries have far more recess for example, in school than we do. We are dooped into thinking that working harder means we are working better. Not true as proven by test results from countries that spend less time in class than our kids. Just one example.

bass12 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021