I've seen the light..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickj, Jul 9, 2002.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I finally understand why people like Fender J/P basses. I've hated them with a passion.. closest I could tolerate was MM/copies.

They sound damn good. They're ugly as sin (IMO), but they sound amazing.

Yes, I realize I'm a bit slow on the draw here ;) esp. as I've been bassing for almost 10 years :p. One of those "A Hah!" moments.. (at mars music no less).
  2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've also got major GAS for a 4 string Cort Curbow unlined fretless (gas gas).. but that's OT ;)
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was like you. Hated Fenders. Then one day, BANG I saw the light. Then I just knew Fender's weren't bad at all. Now it's graduated to full blown GAS for a P bass...

They're a classic for a good reason.
  4. Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    yea, when i first went looking for a bass anything that said fender i wanted to avoid simply because their such a huge company and i figured their stuff was mass produced cheaply. Then, one day at brook mays, i picked up a jazz bass and I was really impressed. now im building one and its gonna be sweet.
  5. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i was the same way too... i didn't like fender instruments simply because of their ubiquity... until i actually played one and fell in love
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    GLAD YOU DID, Fender rule!
  7. I have nothing negative to say about Fender except perhaps that their prices are a bit high. Every MIA Fender I've ever played has sounded great, and most of the time they weren't setup properly (Sam Ash:mad: ).

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I know exactly what you´re talking about.

I also have hated Fender J/P since I first picked up bass many, many moons ago.
    I´ve been a "natural" finish kinda guy, and I´ve also hated their looks.

But I´ve recently attended concerts where the bassist was using Fender Jazz bass and I absolutely fell head over heels in love with the sound.
    I like it so much that I put down an order for a five string Fender Jazz Bass, American series today!

I will get it ´round mid august :D
  9. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still don't understand why people say this... the MIA series jazzes and precisions are only about $900 and they are PRO LEVEL instruments

there is no other brand i can think of that gives you that much quality for that price.... $900 is still mid level quality for most brands

i paid $700 for a freaking LTD a few years ago when i could have coughed up $200 more and gotten an instrument that was 10 times better
  10. That's true for their passive basses, but their active basses are a bit more. Okay, maybe I was wrong, but I can say there's a LOT of competition in that price range (Musicman, G&L, etc.). Sorry to have upset you Jarrod.;)
  11. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    hehe, well, you didn't really upset me... i just don't understand why people keep saying fenders are expensive...

and i would say that within that $1300 or so price range that deluxe fender, musicman, G&L, czech spector, etc fall into, the fender option is of no lesser quality than the others
  12. I am a big I mean BIG Fender fan.. But I was never into the Fender P-bass with the bridge jazz pickup. I think it's called the P-Bass Special?// I was at the San Marcos GC and just for the heck of it I played a Squier P-Bass Special...I don't know if it was a freak or something but this bass sounded better than most of the MIA P's or J's that I played that day.. If it didn't have that Squier lable on it I would have thought is was a MIA Deluxe P- bass Special....:)
  13. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I've avoided actual ownership of a real live Fender for most of my years playing. I had a copy for many years, but that wasn't the real thing. I finally got a MIA P-bass, but held it for one month when I decided I would stick with one bass--a five string. Nevertheless, somehow, I will always think life as a bass player will be incomplete without a Fender in my possession. So I imagine owning one someday soon.
  14. Welcome to the family! :)

I love my P!
  15. I've unfortunately never found a really well setup Fender, so I've never started liking them. All the fenders I've tried so far have been equipped with four year old strings and have had four cm high action.
    My search continues...