I've seen the (Rickenbacker) light!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Now here's a story to warm yer cockles...

Since day 1 one of my most desired bass sounds has been Geddy Lee's Rick tone, particularly on Exit Stage Left. But despite trying countless Ricks over the years, I've always felt disappointed in them, telling myself that such a sound can't be obtained from a 'modern' 4003.

While playing my mate's 4003 yet again, I felt the same ennui... 'neck's too fat'... 'feels strange'... 'stupid pickup cover'... And felt generally resigned to the fact that me and a Rick are not meant to be.

BUT THEN, twiddling the knobs, THAT TONE suddenly jumped out at me. 'Red Barchetta' - perfect. 'Freewill' - spot on. 'Cygnus X-1' - tear jerking. All of a sudden the neck becomes pleasingly substantial, the strange body feel replaced with quirky.

I have, again, become obsessed with owning one. THE SOUND is in there. And I know where it is. So if anyone cares to 'donate' £1000 to me drop me a line!

Still got to lose that pickup cover.
  2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    So how did you get the sound?
  3. jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Yeah, "that tone" has sent many of us on a wild goose chase. Even Geddy found the Rickenbacker too much trouble to get the sound he wanted out of it and returned to his 70's Fender.

I really like my Geddy Jazz bass. That tone is there, in spades, so they did a good job replicating his vintage axe, IMO.

My favorite song for that tone (and that growl): "A Farewell To Kings".
  4. tepes22b

Sep 15, 2005
    Maumee, OH
    They are great basses, and I have gotten pretty close to his tone with my old 4003, but they are rather difficult to manage a lot of the time. If the Fender Geddy Lee J-Bass is as foolproof as it sounds like it is, it'd be cheaper and easier, for sure.
  5. Why do people rag on the 4003 neck?

I have an '05 4003 and I think that (and pardon my vernacular) it is the sh-t.

The pickup cover does not bother me one bit either. I actually find it both useful and aesthetic pleasing.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    When my Rick 4001 and Fender basses were stolen, I got another Fender.
  7. I have a Ric 4000 from '74, the neck is THIN and SMOOTH! Sound is amazing, I took off the pickup cover. I wouldn't bother buying a Fender, neck is too clunky and bolt on necks do NOT work for me!
  8. I sold my rick in january, which I don't regret, but it did have the fastest neck i've played on a 4 string. Tight fingerspacing and limited range of sounds were my biggest gripes, and in my opinion, a pbass can get a close approximation to the rick sound, after having owned both.

9. Yeah, the newer Ricks' necks are a bit thicker...but I have to agree that nothing sounds more pure to me than a neck-through........the lows and highs sound more true, and less fake.......
  10. Paul_C

Paul_C Builder: Arrowheadguitars Basses

Mar 5, 2005
    Northampton, UK

I've got a 2004 Jetglo you can have for a lot less than £1000 ;)

great bass ...

11. I had a Geddy Lee jazz, but didn't get on with it :bag:
  12. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    So the geddy has a similair tone to the rick but easier to manage and more economical?

13. Maybe easier to manage........but definately not the same!

Ricks are more "violent" when you push them hard......

"Tom Sawyer" - 70's Jazz Bass...

"Red Barchetta" - Rickenbacker...

Listen and compare.....Jazz more roundy, and smooth.

....Rick has much more bite and crunch.
  14. Jazzes and Ricks definitely share similarities but there's a big difference at the same time. Listen to Geddy's sound on Red Barchetta or The Camera Eye, and then listen to Tom Sawyer or Digital Man. The Jazz has a bit more high end sizzle and sounds a bit rounder. The Rick seems to have more less of that treble and more of a clank.

4001 Ricks have the best necks ever. This, by the way, coming from a jazz player! 4003s have a somewhat similar sound but the neck feels different. I've never played a 4003 I felt could compare to a 4001.
  15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Exact same thing happened to me the other day. I'd always play Ricks and think- 'so what's the hubbub about'? Then one day, it just clicked, and now I need one.
  16. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I remember reading here somewhere that Geddy said he used his Jazz to record all of MP.

"Ricks are more "violent" when you push them hard......"

The Geddy Jazz gets pretty violent when pushed hard too, I'd say.
  17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    From a GC interview -

GC: Was that about the time you switched back to the Jazz?

Lee: I was using both on that album. Like a song like "Red Barchetta" is pure Rick and "Tom Sawyer" was Fender.

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd say that's pretty accurate. The jazz is a lot more balanced sounding, whereas the Rick just kinda...screams. Personally, I like Ricks better. :cool:
  19. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004

I have an '03 4003 & by a mile its the best bass I have ever owned :bassist: