1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've sold all my basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tomis17, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    After selling my first bass in January I've finally thinned my heard to down to 2. These are the ones that I've decided to hang onto. I sold my basses to fund my wedding and now that the wedding is out of the way, I wish I could have a couple of those basses back. These are my basses:

2002 Fender Ameican Jazz Deluxe FMT SOLD
    1993 Fender MIM Jazz SOLD
    2001 Dean Edge Q5 SOLD
    2005 Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 SOLD
    2004 Ibanez SR400 SOLD
    1992 Fender MIJ 1975 Reissue Jazz SOLD
    2006 Fender American Deluxe Jazz SOLD
    2006 Warwick Thumb 5 BO SOLD
    2005 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 SOLD
    Custom Vintage Jazz KEEPING
    Custom Shortscale Jazz KEEPING

When I save up enough money I swear I'm going to buy back my USA Jazz Dlx and my MIJ '75 RI...maybe the SR5 too. Those are the best playing basses I have ever played. :bawl:

2. foolish! I'd never sell stuff for a wedding

3. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, that's why I'm kicking myself. Girls come and go but a great bass is once in a lifetime. *sniff sniff*

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Hey! To each his own.

And the way I see it, a wedding is no less of a reason to sell as any other (financial) responsibility. I figure most everyone here has sold a bass or something else for some legitimate reason.

I just hate it for him that he's lost his "friends". NO doubt, gaining something obviously more important in the process.

The best thing is that he's got a plan to recover them. That's the smart approach.

dcr

5. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The key words are "when I save enough money". With a wife, there will be kids, and with kids more coming out of my bass fund. :rollno:

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm in the middle of funding a wedding myself. I only have two basses and they managed to escape the wrath of the wedding monster.

Congratulations on your marriage! Just like you have a lifetime of happiness ahead of you with your new wife, you have a lifetime to try out and buy more basses. :)

7. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks fellow Wisconsinite! I told my wife that because of the sacrifice I've made for her, I better see a Sadowsky UV70 under the tree this Christmas. :D

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Ah, I did not even see that you are in Eau Claire. Always good to meet another Wisconsin TBer.

Good call on the Sadowsky - marriage isn't about "keeping score", but sacrifices of your magnitude need to be reimbursed somehow!

9. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I cannot agree with that more! :D

10. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    well, feel lucky if your wife ever reads this thread that your life wont go on much longer to be upset about your basses

and you really should think of it in terms of all those basses werent exactly "vintage" although some are badass high end ones. i woulda kept the 75 reissue, though. but you need to think that you are now in a "dual income" situation (which doesnt necessarily mean you are both working, but both have access to your legally shared income).

heres the plan:

let the wife have a few months to go about spending some money on dresses, makeup, or whatever it is ladies spend money on these days (if shes a musician, you're already in the clear). then, after a while, find your perfect bass. hell, have a luthier make yours. now, when you go and drop 4 grand on the sweetest thing youve ever seen ("except you, honey" lol) then she has little room to complain as shes wearing $500 dollar shoes

then again, as newlyweds, you probably have a lot of piles of extra money lying around

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Only on TB does someone say they've sold ALL their basses when they actually still have two.:D

12. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I've sold all but two of my basses.

Fixed it for him:smug:

To the OP, you can get a good/great bass anytime, But a good Wife is in a whole different catagory. Congrats to you and if you both dont already have kids, GET YOUR TOYS NOW! while you have the chance.:D :bassist:

13. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hahaha great advice guys.

Well, being that I had 11 basses and now only 2 it does feel like I have none left. :D

14. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, at least you've got 2....but man!!! I can't imagine selling the MIA Deluxe!!! That must have hurt BAD!!

In all honesty, I believe that I'd sell my Ric before the Jazz....I like it THAT much!

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of marriage!!! (I think that's tongue-in-cheek).....

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    When I read the title, I thought back to the other day when I watched the Bobby Vega interview on Sam Ash TV and wanted to do the same thing...except go down to zero. The BV interview actually hit me harder than going to a Bx3 show with respect to the "why do I bother? factor"!

I sold a number of vintage guitars before I got married in 1982. I'm still married to my lovely wife, but still miss the instruments (and they'd be worth about 10X what I got for them).

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Yeah you should have kept more to sell for the divorce. :bag:

17. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    Selling all of those basses to get married is just silly IMO. Why is the cost of your wedding so far out of your budget that you need to sell personal belongings to fund it? Something tells me you should be running from this . . .

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I sold all my basses right after I got divorced; and, interestingly enough, I had 2 left, and both of them were custom Jazzes I built myself!

19. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Well, the reason why I had to sell the basses to fund the wedding was because I spent all my money buying music gear the last 7 years. Let's see...my PA system, the 11 basses, my 3 bass rigs, my recording studio, etc... Oh and I didn't want to drain my parents retirement account too. :D

Well, I certainly hope that's not the case in the future otherwise it'll be all for nothing.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't think my marriage was all for nothing.