1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I've started down a dangerous road

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dean owens, Aug 10, 2012.

1. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    For years... and I mean years... I have been a no effects guy. Recently I've started getting into pedals for my guitar. This was crazy enough for me but I was sure I'd keep my bass "pure". But something happened.

A month or so ago I go a POG2 and took it to practice (where I was playing bass) to show it to the guitarist. One my my saved settings was the "cello". I was playing around with it and our keyboard player suggested I use it on a song or two.

This week we played a conference in Indian. By the time it was all said and done I had a small pedal board. TU-2 -> Alterego -> POG2 -> Flashback -> Morley mini volume. I ended up using all of them. I felt so dirty at the start of the week but felt oh so good by the end of the week. This might be fun.

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    It's a beautiful thing to find new, wild colours with which to paint.

There are different types of paint too - and some crazy tools to get them on the page.

Interpret that as you may.

It's not dangerous as far as I can tell. :bag:

Enjoy this new chapter in bass playing. And the dark maze of the effects subforum! Ha! Hahaha! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! *cough* *splutter* .... :D

3. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Nooooooooo!!!!!!

Sell them all now and don't look at effects again, it will lead you on the never ending search for the "perfect" tone that will cost you a lot of money and time!!!

I am of course joking, well, about the get rid of them part, the rest is true though. :D

4. Very similar story. Straight into the head for about 14 years.
    Then I bought a wf RAT re-issue,used it on my bass and really liked it. Then a big muff and a BM clone, mxr fuzz deluxe,greystache, rattail, darkdriving, pickle pie b, TAFM!, oc-2, octamizer , whammy 4,synth wah,mxr e filter, Line ^ DL4 and M5.
    So to divert my attention from buying/trying new pedals,(as I def have evrything I need and more) I started building kits. This is were the road gets deeper and darker haha. So much fun to start one on a day off and at the end of the day, you have a new pedal. At least I'm not buying as much now

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Welcome to the dark side. They have cookies here.

6. I'm with you man! I never used pedals until recently. Only my bass a tuner and my amp. Now I have about 6 and have 3 more on the way.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Purity is over-rated. :D

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dang sure is, unless it comes out of a tube rig ;) But hey, you can always turn your pedals off when you want that.

9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Welcome to the world of the sick, tormented and contagious.

:)

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Sooo true! have one of these: PFO1855.

hey! go nuts... take two!

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah but have you tried tube pedals? The world is more beautiful w/ tube.
    Sell all of your pedals & do over.

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Tube dirt pedals are cool. Other forms of tube pedals are a waste of money. Really. You end you with an expensive BUFFER for those analog circuits.

13. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    It reminded me that I can be very compulsive! So far so good, I've been somewhat reasonable... :meh:

14. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Now, now. There is nothing sick or tormented. We pedal users are merely more open-minded. We acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, there are some new sounds our bass can make that will make use smile, so we seek them out.

15. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    An artist needs a palette…and a palate (y'know, taste).

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Bassist that doesn't use pedals
    [​IMG]

Bassist that uses pedals
    XavierArt-800.

Both are beautiful. :D

(That second one is an original painted by my son at age 6)

17. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    Love the pictures.

I guess I've never been in a situation where I've had the space to use pedals. This past week we had a basic lineup as far as instruments (acoustic, electric, keys, drums, and me) but there was enough going on (great keyboardist) that I could make noise in a good way. I don't really know that I'll be able to do much of that in church (where I play most of the time) because there I'm needed to simply lay down a solid rhythm.

18. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    Oh, and I had thought about taking a compressor with me but wondered if it'd matter for bass... or even if a guitar comp pedal could be used on a bass. This Sunday I realized I've been playing with one for years and never noticed it. My amp for years was a GK 200RCB. A few years ago I upgraded and gave that head to my church. It has a built in chorus (which I never use) and a few push switches. I didn't pay attention to what they were... just did what sounded best. Yesterday I looked and one of them is labeled "comp". When you push in the comp button you can turn a pot labeled "sustain". All these years I've been playing with a compressor and didn't even know it.