1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I've tried all the regular tips, but I can't keep it in tune.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kriss Kaboom, Apr 12, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kriss Kaboom

Kriss Kaboom

Apr 4, 2018
    During part of my show I like to employee a technique of pounding on the bass on the neck and the body. I'm inspired by Mark "The Animal" Mendoza, Michael Anthony, and Chuck Wright in this playing style. I only really use it to play one song in the set. Still, I think it should stay in tune. I play an american P-bass. What do you guys think, new tuners?

2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Let's see... So it's in tune before you bang on the body and neck then out of tune after, correct? Does it tend to go flat or sharp? Do you tune up to pitch? Have you lubricated the nut?

What type of bass and strings?

- John

Bassbeater likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What are the "regular tips"? What's the process you follow for string installs?

Riis

4. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    wha zooberwerx said [i.e. enough wraps properly installed?] also assuming new strings, do you stretch your strings after a new install? There is no reason that bass should not be in tune all the time

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    One day on the street I saw a guy abusing his girlfriend.
    I thought that was a good idea and decided to try it.
    Now she doesn't return my phone calls.
    I think she should.

What's wrong with her?!!

Submitted with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Cheez and mech like this.
  6. You need to be stretching the hell out of your strings before they will hold tune - not only within the neck, but also past the bridge and the nut.

7. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Play that song last in the set.

Cheez likes this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    This is bad practice. Stretching your strings is not recommended. You just need to set the witness points properly and wrap the strings properly on the tuning post. Stretching the string risks loosening the windings.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thank you..I've seen two posts already suggesting the practice. Why torture an already stressed component? It's even listed as SOP in my Maruszczyk's user's manual.

Riis

10. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    TIGHTEN the neck screws?

Bolsyo likes this.
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To the OP:

Please specify IN DETAIL what "the regular tips" are. I'll bet that there are one or more things you have missed.

Tip inserted into post?
    How much string is wound around tuner?
    Number of wraps?
    Wound from top of tuner down?
    Later wraps locking earlier wraps in place?
    Witness points set?
    Never tuned down to pitch, only up?

One thing that a few weeks on TB will tell you is that one person's "tips" may be another person's "mistakes to avoid."

And in general, beating on a bass is pretty much asking to knock it out of tune.

12. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Hot Tip: Internalize ^this statement^.

13. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    what kind of regular tips are there for ensuring that an instrument stays in tune after you beat it about the neck and body?

imo, you're probably loosening the neck. you will probably tighten the screws -repeatedly. soon they will probably strip the wood out of the neck or probably break. you will probably have a nice repair estimate. you will probably question the design of the instrument and it's inability to stay in tune. how could this happen?

you're probably better off getting a cheap neck-through for one tune.

Bolsyo and tzohn like this.
  14. Not recommended by who?

the explode man likes this.
  15. No truer words can be spoken

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    By me and most of the string makers I have encountered. And a bunch of instrument makers I know. And the guy down the street. (And his dog, but I don't really believe his dog plays bass).

17. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    How do you hold your fist when you pound out your bass? Maybe you have a bad wrist angle. Do you hold a pick when you pummel your bass or is it aux naturel? What kind of bass face do you make for that part of the song?
    I think it's probably beat-down technique related.
    Post a video.

charlie monroe likes this.
  18. No, no he plays a (get ready) doghouse!

F0F584E6-94C7-4A39-886E-00CACEF3DF85.jpeg

I’ll be leaving now.:D

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

No answers to my questions from the OP. Still waiting....and will help if I get answers.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  20. I wholeheartedly disagree. Setup a bass and string it your way, then pull the E string two inches away from the fretboard at the 12th fret. Notice how your string is completely out of tune? It's because it's not broken in. Without breaking it in, you're going to be constantly shifting out of tune while you're playing. If being out of tune works for your genre, then go for it, otherwise, you might want to have your strings set up so that they hold tune properly.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.