I've try an Alembic today... Woa

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piedro, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    O My God... :eek: i went to a little and crappy music store near my appart in Montréal and i saw this Awesome things in the back.. for 1450Can $
    It's a 4 strings Orion by what i looked on the site when i came back.. and i don't know the year..but Oh My god these things are Growly and Snapy and Bass-Drum-Kick-in-your-stomach and Soooo well built! that's peice of Art.. i'm not a big fan of the look but i know when an instrument is beautiful !!

It's fun to remember what a Hi quality instrument is.. it's like when i tried a Fodera.. Good remembering!

So you people who are using a Alembic.. tell us what are you doing with them...
    When do you think these bass are the most appropriate?
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Most appropriate when you wanna rock like Stanley Clarke! :bassist:
  3. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    yeah right.. but for a bass player that lives in the real world ?
  4. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    Builder: ThorBass
    Alembics are appropriate any time you want to play well and sound great.
  5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I live in the real world and rock like Stan the man...I do it with a Kubicki though...I'm not at Alembic level yet!

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I love my Alembic. Awesome sound and very well built. I play a variety of styles onit with no problem.
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Whenever I can plug it in. Seriously. I've used Alembics for funk, smooth jazz, contemporary gospel, and even rock. For a while I was using one at a seriously questionable dive where the band I was in was playing classic rock. Right now I ocassionally use one at my church.

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I played one a while ago, it was like butter. smoooooooth.

I kinda think any bass can be used for any genre, the fingers are more important. Newsted used one with metallica, so it can be done
  9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    which music store have you been?
  10. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    I've played a couple. Orions as well I believe.

I can't remember the last time I was so dissapointed in an high end instrument.

they were heavy, VERY off-balanced, and the necks felt like a P-bass had mated with a hippo. I've played a great many basses, from full blown custom to total factory jobs, that would walk all over the Alembics I've played in the playability deptartment at a fraction of the cost. I didn't even bother plugging them in. The sound is malliable. The playability, (past a good setup,) is not.

Admittedly, they were their "low end" models. But at that pricetag... yeesh. And I'll certainly admit that they were finely and impressively constructed. But if it feels like a brick and plays like a 2x4, all the Stanley Clarkes and Jason Newsteds in the world won't make me want one.
  11. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

+1 - I owned a Stanley Clarke Brown Bass about a year ago and was COMPLETELY disappointed with it. I was heartbroken, I had wanted one for so long and traded a Fodera for it, by the time I had figured out that the Alembic was not my thing, my Fodera was gone...

GAS sometimes comes back to bite yuo in the butt. No pun intended... :rollno:
  12. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    A little Store on Jean-Talon near Langelier.. in St-Léonard call Kitt's musique.

A bit crappy but the stock there is always moving. and the guy there.. i don't remember is name, but is very nice.

It's a kind of place where people sell their stuff... There's a cool 5 ( or 6?...i don't remember) string acoustic Fretless bass made by a luthier that a don't remember the name..
  13. cosmic

Jun 21, 2005
    Sounds to me like you just played a bad one (is that possible?) or maybe you're just jealous/envious/ or something that you cannot afford one. No offense, but your review -- whether you prefer them or not -- is way off mark. It is akin to reviewing a Ferrari and calling it a well made piece of crap.

Alembics are in a class of their own. Top shelf. The best of the best.

Whatever though -- to each his own......
  14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I never heard of that store, I will go take a look soon and try that alembic
  15. I have an 82 Distillate I got off of the bay several years ago.
    I hate playing it while sitting down, as it just doesn't sit right that way, but I can dial in a great range of sounds. I love this thing. I am still happy with my tone on my J bass or even on my cheap Yammy fretless, but when the Alembic comes out, there is no mistaking the sound (can you say Q switch???).

I played rock and blues with it and got great comments. One of the drummers I used to jam with always asked me if I had brought in "Becky" - his nickname for my Alembic. I do not play it that often anymore because I am mostly playing around the house on my HOG30, and well, we all know that the two do not mix :eyebrow: - Jus a little pointless to play such a great instrument through a crappy 8" speaker!

If you love the sound of the bas you played in the store and have gas, then get it! :D