Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iwant to change my fou string bass over to a 5 string....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lovepump69, Dec 14, 2004.

1. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
    i have a dean playmate 4 string and i want to make it a 5 string i am planning on changing the pickup to a humbucker. also the bridge....mabe to a badass 2 bridge. also any sugestions on turning it into a string thru body? i am also stripping off the paint and just going to put on an oil finish please help.

2. Sounds like it's going to be alot of work. And have pretty narrow spacing.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have to agree. It will have .6" spacing at the bridge which is exactly what I have on my 6-string. Although I have grown used to the tight spacing, it isn't for everyone.

You will need to add another tuner to the headstock, change the nut, change the bridge, and change the pickups. Not a small job, but it is possible.

4. Not necessarily.

If his pickups have bar poles(Like soapbars) it would be fine, but not so much of they have indepent poles(like a Jbass, or a stingray).

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I think it would be best to just sell it and buy a five string to your liking and budget. Or better yet, keep it and buy a five string, it may come in handy. As mentioned before, the string spacing is going to be tight and ..... oh well, if you do the conversion, you'll come to a conclusion yourself.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    He stated in his original post that he was going to change his pickups to soapbars.

7. Honestly, unless you have alot of experience working on basses, it is going to be very difficult. If it was me, I would sell the bass and buy a 5 string. Imho, not worth the work and time it is going to take.

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    String it BEAD. If you like it, go buy a 5.

9. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
    i forgot to mention that i am replacing the neck with a wormouth or such and yes i have a 5 string already but i never play the four...plus it has sentimental value.....i am not worried about the work....or the time cuz i have a bass already. it ( the dean) already has a soapbar i was wondering if a five string neck will fit, or if i will have to make a lot of mods?.....

10. A 5 string neck will probably not fit in that neck pocket. If it has sentimental value, why are you modifying it?

11. I defretted my first bass cause it had sentimental value and I didnt want to get rid of it. I took the frets out and kept it and it was a good learning experience. I say go for it, its gonna be a lot of work but you will learn a lot.

12. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    don't do it!