1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

IYHO the best 5'er $500 or under (new or used)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I was thinking maybe a used Lakland 5501.

2. That or an MTD Kingston. If you're really lucky, perhaps you could find a used MTD Grendel 5 hovering around that price range. I have both and bought them used here on TB. A used (stock or modded) Kingston Artist 5 can commonly be had for around $300-400 (even less in some situations). Used Grendels are usually found for $500-700. IMO, they are incredible basses regardless of the price point. Also very worth your consideration would be the 55-02 that Dr Cheese has for sale here in the TB classifieds for $650 (IIRC) which tonally is significantly better than the 55-01.

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ibanez ATK305.

i haven't found a bass that i've been happier with since i got it.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    used G&L? if you're lucky to find one. SUB5s go for under that. used Lackland would be nice for that price. the active Squire 5s go for less than that new

5. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    There's a pretty cool Squier in the Classifieds right now. (not mine) I've thought about grabbing it even though I'm not in the market for a 5er.

Plus, if you picked it up I might be able to try it out at the next Madison GTG. ;)

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That is what I was thinking too.

Used MIA Fender Jazz 5ers tend to sell in the $550-650 range though and they are excellent for the $.

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I've owned both and preferred the 55-01 to the J.

9. Daleb

Daleb

Aug 23, 2005
    New Squier DJAV for $300 rocks....I get a lot of great comments on mine. :)

10. +1 I've had both a Grendel 5 (was stolen) and still have a Kingston 5. The playability is as good as my high end basses. The price I've seen the Kingstons (used) going for lately is insanely low. That's got to be THE best deal for the $$ out there.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    If used were not an option, this would be my recommendation. Huge neck, but not unplayable by any means. If you like 34" scale with 19mm spacing, these are hard to beat. Especially for the money.

Used, I would go EBMM SUB5 or Tribute L2500.

12. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I have found the Schecter basses to play really well right off the shelf and they can be had new for $500 or less.

13. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Another vote here for the Kingston.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

My G&L Trib L2500 just ran a 55-01 with Nords out of the house ... 55-01 is a really good bass mechanically - the Bart electronics and pickups are not of the same quality ... Drop $450 on an Audere pre and a set of Nord Big Splits and you have a powerhouse but now you have a 1K bass or close thereabouts ...

to be fair, my Trib is strung E through C, has a new nut and I yanked the stock electronics out for an Audere ... but I didn't hate the G&L electronics the way I did the Bart's. At least with the G&L you're starting with a great pickup set. Or in other words I could live with a stock L2500 but not a stock 55-01 ...

The one place where the 55-01 was clearly superior - was the Low B. That string speaks with an authority that the G&L can't. - The G&L isn't bad, but it's not as BIG sounding as the Lakland B ... I hear that is the 35" scale as opposed to 34 " scale talkin' but I have no proof of that. It's a big sounding B for sure though.

15. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Isn't the string spacing on the 2500 more like a stingray 5? That's one reason I do like my Fender Am Std V is the nice wide string spacing, ala the 5501.

16. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    lakland 55-01

17. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Yes...17.5mm

18. mrpackerguy

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    that 1.5mm makes a big difference IMO and I have small hands but prefer the wider string spacing.

19. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

+1 and it's definitely different strokes for different folks. I love the spacing on the SR5. Seems almost effortless.

I just picked up a Fender AmDlx Jazz V today with the wider spacing and although I can notice it, it too is nice to play.