1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

IYO, how much of the warwick sound comes from the MEC pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 1, 2010.

1. none

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. A little

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. moderate

17 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. a lot

21 vote(s)
    27.6%
  5. MECs are the warwick sound

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. carrots

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. I understand that most people disagree about what actually makes up the way a bass sounds, but in your opinion, how much of the warwick sound comes from the MEC pickup and electronics?

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    98%?

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    More than 60% and less than 100%.

4. P-Nut's signature bass still sounds like a Warwick, even with Duncans in it.

5. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    Before MEC, Warwicks used to come with your choice of EMG or Bartolinis. Then they added Seymor-Duncans as an option for a short while I believe. Still had the Warwick sound 100%, at least the EMG ones which are the ones I have heard the most. That was the most popular option, it seems.

6. I'm pretty damn sure it's somewhere between 0% and 100%.:bag:

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    i was wondering this too.
    Ive got a Double Buck and I was thinking about trying out other pickups to see.
    any suggestions for good replacements?

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    No, you're thinking of the strings. Close.

9. In my experience, the Warwick sound comes from the strap button felt more than anything else.

10. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    What exactly does a Warwick sound like? P-nut sounds like he's playing a Stingray with the highs rolled off. Is that close? Pardon me, I just don't think of Warwick as having a unique sound.

11. I always think of Ryan Martinie when I think of "the Warwick sound".

12. P-Nut would prob be offended at that comment. He has incredible sound, and I dont hear it to be like a stingray, imo.

Warwicks generally have a very growly low-mid signature, much like the "spector" sound, only on the other range of mid voicing

13. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    IMO and IME, the MEC electronics provide more "color" to the tone than anything else. I've had 2 stock Corvettes and, after hearing a few altered Vettes, to my ear the same base sound is present, just with different flavor. Conversely, I own a Thumb NT 5 that is heavily modified (Barden pups, Audere pre), and while the characteristics and textures are definitely different it still sounds like a Thumb.

14. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    IMO, P-nut and Ryan Martine sound nothing alike. And I don't think he would be offended, I think he would whip out his bass n school me lol.

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    The difference in felt thickness is equivalent to 60's and 70's spacing for a Fender Jazz. The difference in third fret fret markers (abalone vs. MOP) is like the difference between a djembe and a flute.

Abalone > MEC pickups.

ii7-V7 likes this.
  16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    so what gives em the mid hump coloration?

17. They'd like us to think its all the ovangkol and wenge, according to nearly everything on their website Warwick thinks the MECs just let the true growl of the wood come through.

18. well one things fer sure- it has NOTHING to do with the player....... ;-)

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

None of it since Bart equiped Warwicks still sounds like Warwicks.
    Mid hump comes from ill pickup placement and super rigid, non-resonant wood construction.

20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Hey, I picked up a Rockbass Streamer 5 w/passive MEC's about 5 years ago and haven't really played it - was wondering if anyone knows if they have any of the Warwick Mojo or are them completely different?