1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J. Backlund Desgin JBD-800B tones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Jul 23, 2012.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Okay, everyone, I just found this video on YouTube of my bass at Summer NAMM. Its a pretty good quick look at some of the tones you can get out of it:

Also, I just spent some time with it today in the studio, and while I haven't recorded it yet, I got Ric tone using just the bridge pickup and rolling off the treb a bit, when in the Bridge and middle pickup position it is spot on a PJ bass. The middle position gets both vintage and modern P bass tones. I rolled off the treb about half and got Jamerson, put the tone full and got killer cutting punk pbass tone.

With the neck and middle, I got a tone similar to a vintage Telecaster bass, just by rolling off treb about a quarter. With thetone on full in this position, similar but not exactly an Aria Pro II SB-700. Finally, just the neck pickup, not a ton of tonal variety, but definitely can squeeze out British rock EB-0sounds. For the EB-0, it sounded closer through my vintage 2X10 cab. Everything else was spot on with my Hartke HyDrives.

This bass may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I definitely think its worth looking at adding to your arsenal, especially for recording.

And yes, I used it on stage this weekend and the three really hot cougars said it was "cool, kindda racey,Sort of like a Jetson's bass." I'll take it as a compliment and a come on.....:bassist:

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    This is a great axe. I got to take it for a quick spin on Saturday and was favorably impressed! All passive with a lot of tonal options, plus a very hip "retro/modern" look. These are definitely worth a look.

3. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Commercial User

Sep 8, 2009
    Chattanooga TN
    Owner and Luther for Bennett Music Labs
    heres a question for everyone.
    I realize that the demo player we grabbed for this video was not of the caliber most serious player could get behind ( was that polite enough?)

and yesterday, I got the chance to bring a REALLY good bassist to do a demo video of this model..
    but honestly, this guy could make a plank with some strings on it sounds fabulous. and he's a very modern player too. so he has all the licks and tricks.

But my question is this.. In your opinions, which shows the bass best for what it is,
    an average player, or a guy that is like a clone of Victor Wooten?

I know that when I look at video demos, I like to be "Wowed" like anyone.. but then I always wonder was it the bass or the player that sounded so great.

just asking.

4. To me a good demo uses recognizable riffs and licks, demonstrating basic techniques. For the 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of bassists that AREN'T Vic, that makes a good demo.

5. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    I am recording some sound clips for everyone, but it will take a couple of days. I'm doing very basic riffs. I-IV-V type stuff. Do the same riff with all the pickup positions.

I'm also going to do snippets of the bass doing specific songs/styles. Everything will be direct into the recording software clean, no amp simulator.

For example, Sunshine of your Love using the bass pickups selected and tone rolled off to show how close you can get to a vintage EB-0, London Calling and Fridays for punk P and PJ tones, etc.

This bass is super versatile and has exceptional output for a passive bass. The only other thing that comes close is my old Vaccaro generator X which has massive output passive J pickups.

6. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Just an update, stringing it up with DRs so sound clips are coming. Thanks for the patience.