1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J-bass, 2 vol pots, 3 "tone" pots, possible? options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I'm planning on overhauling the electronics in my bass once I have the money. The way I have it now (passive J bass), I have the standard vol/vol/tone then an on/off toggle before a side mounted jack. The toggle's not going anywhere considering it saved my glut hairs multiple times in church. I'm looking though possibly to add a black ice type distortion without losing total tone control, and seeing an old J bass with two double type pots controlling both tone and volume on each pickup got me interested in the possibilities. Thus, my plan right now is to have Vol/Tone-Vol/Tone-BlackIce-toggle-jack. Main thing right now is who can supply me with the appropriate parts?

BTW, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to the names of different pot types, even trying to search these forums. If it matters, I'm looking to swap the stock pups in my bass with Dimarzio Ultra J's. Thanks for your paitence, and you're more than welcome to summon the flames of hell upon me for my ignorance.

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I did the black ice mod, so ive got vol/vol/tone(push pull for parallel/series switching)/ black ice toggle on and off.

I got 2 diodes and a DPDT from maplins(like radio shack i think)

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/blackice.htm

If you dont want to get rid of the toggle, then you could have another knob with a switch built in, and use that for switching on the distortion

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How would you describe the effect of the Black Ice on the tone? I've been wanting to try that out, but at $30? :eek:

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    im also interested in hearing about this, ive got 2 diodes i took from the physics lab at college and am just waiting till i get out of school for the summer to start messing with my electronics again

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    dont buy it whatever you do, its basically paying $30 for 2 diodes in a plastic shell.

, i heard some clips of a guy using it with a SG, it sounded pretty good, in order to drive the diodes properly you need high output pickups, like the humbuckers on the SG, I can barely run it with my jazz.(sound clip of mine in my signature)

I found this guide a while ago:
    [​IMG]

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I used to do this using regular silicon diodes back in the 70's. I only used one diode also (which would just clip either the positive or negative side of the wave, depending on how the diode was installed). Two diodes clip both sides of the wave. Either way will work... they sound a little different.

I didn't use have output pickups either. You can try some different signal diodes. The schottky types are low voltage, which is good for this application. Germanium diodes would probably be a good choice too. Even LED's will work. They all have a different sound.

If you have a preamp installed in the bass, even better. Just do the diode trick after the pre.

Don't waste your money on that black ice thing. Diodes are cheap!

7. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    how do you have the toggle switch wired into your signal chain (small diagram maybe)? i guess its at the end with an on/on toggle with 2 wires going to output and one having the diodes, effectively giving a clean and overdrive channel. just a guess.