1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J Bass buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lavmonga, Mar 1, 2008.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I've got a Jazz bass i've been toying with and I'm getting this buzz out of it. It's annoying, but in a full band setting not a terribly big deal. Anyway, it just buzzes when I have the tone up past 0, and if it is up all the way (the way I like it) it buzzes but will stop if i put my fingers on the control plate. Is this a grounding issue? I just changed the pots to 500k and it's still happening...the cavities and pg are shielded and I've got the input grounded to both the bridge and a grounding screw. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. hey i'm experiencing the same problem with my marcus miller jazz bass. I know that the single coil pickups in the j bass do buzz a little bit. but im going to my local guitar shop and ask them to check all the electronics to make sure its all wired up properly.

i know what i've said doesn't help that much but thought i'd mention it to let you know that your not the only one!

3. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Good to know! Let me know what your guitar guy says.

4. Famous Shamus

Famous Shamus Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    NYC
    Sounds like a grounding issue....Is everything stock?
    I had a similar problem happen to me when I put a BadAss bridge on my J bass. Turns out, the grounding wire under the old bridge touched the wire but with the way the Badass was cast, it was just missing it. Simple fix, was to remove the bridge, reposition the wire so it would touch and viola, problem solved.
    I hope your issue is this easy as well....

5. Shamus is right. Your bridge needs to be grounded. If you have a meter check and see if there is continuity from the bridge to the jack. If there is it should look something like this.
    Ground3.

If the ground wire is broke or disconnected from the bridge it should read something like this.
    Ground4.

If you don’t have e meter that try running a bit of wire from the jack, or any metal point on your control plate, to the bridge like this.
    Ground1.

If your buzz goes away you know you have found the problem.

Oh…. And stop replacing perfectly good pots :D

6. I just dropped some AEROS in my Lakland JO5, and still have the annoying grounding buzz, but not as prevalent as oem.

One thing I didnt do is to ground to the body via the copper lined cavity. Actually recommended by the pros at Aero I not do that, initally.

But I cant be having a " hands-off" buzz the way I play.

I quieted a mexi Pbass by grounding all to one pot, and grounding that to the cavity.

Is the body grounding ( assuming that's what I'm referring to ) critical to eliminate the "hands off" buzz?

Here's some info, AERO recommends I put a new ground in, 18 ga 19 strand copper.

( BTW, Aeros have very limited "unblananced single coil J pup" buzz. Its awesome. I can solo the neck without undue hum! )

7. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Funny you should mention the BA bridge...I just put one on! I'm gonna take it off and move the wire, we'll see what happens.