1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J bass, don't like my own sound, like others.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edgaroviz, Jan 15, 2012.

1. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    So I tried another american made J and... I simply don't like it!

I don't own a Jazz bass of any kind, I want one, but I just don't like my my tone when I play one.
    Every time I tried one and I tried every single one from Squire's and fender's range(not the active basses), I couldn't understand what everybody sees in them.
    Then on the other hand, I like other people's tone, if it's a Youtube video, friend, or someone famous(Tim Commerford, fea, etc...), I don't like everyone's tone, but most.

Maybe I couldn't find the right J, or maybe I'm not meant to love it. What do you guys think?

Is it possible to make a Squire VM/CV sound anything like a Lakland, or maybe change the preamp+pickups so it'll have a very strong mid?

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Or maybe just try a different bass?

3. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I did, I really like how the J looks.
    It's not how I'm looking into some bass because I'm bored and want something new, I want a J, wanted one for a long time.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Much of the tone comes from your rig, and your settings.
    I'd start making some changes there.

5. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    My first bass was a P, but I can't remember if I liked it because if was my first bass, or because of the sound.

One thing I remember, the pickup really annoyed me when I put my thumb on it.

6. StormeeBee

StormeeBee

Oct 31, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Try the Marcus Miller jazzes. The mids are super prominent with a nice tight E and B (if you get the 5 string).

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Yeah, maybe a P/J would give you the tone you're looking for. Or maybe you should figure out what you like about the Lakland tone and go from there. To me Laklands have a bit of a Musicman vibe. So maybe you want a Jazz with a big 'ol humbucker in the bridge position. Is it just the look of a J you're after?

8. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I remember now that I liked one J, my bass teacher had a MIJ J special, black with a black head stock... I loved it!

9. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I wish I could rip the electronics and pickup off my Stingray, put them in a 62' jazz, thing is... I like my Stingray more than any jazz bass on earth, plus you can't get Musicman's pre and pickup anywhere. The other brands aren't close to the Musicman tone and vibe.
    Jazz with a humbucker... Sounds cooooooollll!!!!!

10. I had a similar experience, major GAS for a Geddy Sig Jazz years ago until I tried one and just hated the tone I got out of it. I think perhaps the tonal ingredient you are missing based on naming Commorford and Flea is overdrive or distortion. I think you might like it better if you can play it through an overdrive pedal or try it with an amp that will allow you to get a little bit of preamp distortion going.

11. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    Might be right, I do like the Stingray with and without effects.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I've always loved the sound of a good jazz played by another player, but I absolutely cannot stand the tones I seem to get with them and I also hate their necks. As they say, different strokes... :bassist:

13. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    We have the same problem, though I never tried a J through my gear.

14. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Tone is 80% fingers.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Don't feel bad! I've been after a 'sound' I've been hearing in my head for ages! Tried different pups and preamps and finally think I found it with Bartolini pups and preamp! I've owned Laklands and Fenders. Had a killer JO5 modified with Nordstrands and an Audere. Nice! But I missed 34" scale so I traded it for another Fender. Modded it with Barts and a Bart pre. This bass kills now!

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yup, this guy's right. I remember reading an interview with Jerry Cantrell and he was talking about once when Eddie Van Halen played through his rig and it sounded like Eddie Van Halen, gear isn't as much as people like to think.

18. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    You need to take a friend Bass Player (whom you respect) with you when you shop. Let him play it, if you like the sound just remember that when you try it. I sometimes don't think my Bass/Amp sound good until I hear somebody else play on/through it.

19. My Stingray covers all my Jazz needs, though I do like my fretless Jazz for-uh-jazz.