Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-bass fingerboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snow Dog, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Snow Dog

Snow Dog

Jun 23, 2001
    Florida
    After always playing P-basses, I am about to purchase my first J-bass. Unfortunately, my local music stoore does not have any with maple fingerboards, so I can't try it out. I would like to get some opinions on maple vs.rosewood fingerboards for a J-bass. Thanks!

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Snow Dog, and welcome to TB. I'm not a long time player, so you will get more expert answers than mine. I play a rosewood board on my fretless 75 RI Jazz, but I like a mellower tone. The maple will give you more punch and bite, according to those in the know. If you search a bit, you will find a whole buttload of threads on maple vs. rosewood. :)
    Doc

3. I've had many basses over the years, with an equal split on rosewood and maple, and I have to say that in my opinion it makes little difference, there are other factors which contribute much more to the sound.
    BTW, welcome to Talkbass.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have owned basses with both maple and rosewood fingerboards. I prefer maple. but like you, at the time I was going to buy a J bass, they only had rosewood. I would have to wait for 3 months for a maple. I bought the rosewood. I then put the barts and a Badass II on it and it sounds great.