Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J Bass - fret height?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EPrendergast, Jan 12, 2006.

1. EPrendergast

EPrendergast

Sep 23, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I realise this is going to expose my ignorance big time, but for the first time a few days ago I played a Fender Jazz Bass. My friend got it for £800 used, and it's absolutely brilliant. I feel in love, instantly. I think it might be a special edition - the only distinctive feature I can describe though, is the lack of front plate.

One of the things I liked about it most though, was the seemingly low-set frets. Is this a feature of J basses in general or was it just because this was an old bass and the frets had been worn down through use? I've seen J basses online and they describe them as having 'jumbo fretts' - i take it this is more to do with the scale than the actual height of the fret metal from the fingerboard?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    no, you were right the first time. Jumbo means big frets. Vintage means smaller frets. Has nothing to do with the scale length of the bass.
    Personally I prefer vintage frets. They feel quicker and smoother to me.