Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Bass Humbucker Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, May 30, 2005.

1. :cool: Does anyone make a 4-string J-Bass style "humbucker" pickup that uses blades instead of poles, besides the Carvin H50N? I've looked and can't seem to find one.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    any reason you're looking for blades? cosmetics? match another p/u?

R

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Bartolini
    EMG
    all make blade humbuckers

4. damn i love blade pickups these days, when i first started getting into bass, i hated them, i also hated fender... and sunburst .... ohh how i have changed :smug:

5. :cool: I'm looking for blade style humbuckers to replace the noisy standard pups in a Squier P-Bass-V. These pups are the same size as a J-Bass 4-string neck pup. However, the standard style pole 4-string J-Bass humbuckers will not work very well in a 5-string application. The Carvin pups are the same size as a J-Bass bridge pup so I can't use those without modifications. I'd like to simply swap them out, no mods.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I wish you'd mentioned it was a 5 string bass before... I wouldn't have mentioned the 4 string split blade bartolinis. And you say it's a P Bass? Don't you mean J? Or are you planning on doing some routing mod work.
    And I wish you'd said the pups were neck length also...
    The problem with 5 string J pickups is that there's no standard for the sizes, so it can be tough to find matching pairs.

Villex will also make you pickups to order. EMG also make a MJ set, which is made specifically to fit the route sizes you mention
    http://emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=30&catalogid=129
    EMG's and Villex both use blades.

7. :cool: No, this is a P-Bass. It's the Squier Standard P-Bass Special V (quite a mouthfull). And the pups are really J-Bass neck size pups, two of 'em.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so then EMG do the MJ set which is exactly what you want - two matched neck size J's