Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J BASS NOISE

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TONYTHOMAS1956, Oct 28, 2005.

1. WHAT CAN I DO FOR A NOISEY BASS????????
    I HAVE A 5 STRING FENDER BASS THAT HAS A NASTY NOISE WHEN I TURN ONE (OR THE OTHER] VOLUME POT DOWN. HAVE CONSIDERED CHANGING TO EITHER EMG"S OR THE FENDER NOISELESS PICK UPS. WOULD LOVE TO KEEP THE ORIGINALS BUT THE THING IS DRIVING ME NUTS. :help: :help:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    First point - please don't type in all caps. On the internet it's considered shouting and it's pretty hard to read.

Second point - the jazz bass pickups are single coils, which naturally have a 60 Hz hum. When they are at full volume, they become hum canceling. You can either switch your pickups out for humbucker pickups or you can invest in some shielding for your control cavity.

3. SORRY BOUT THE CAPS. IM A T WORK AND ITS REQUIRED ON THIS PUTER.
    IVE ALREADY SHEILDED THE CAVITY WITH COPPER TAPE AND SOLDERED EACH PEICE AND ALSO WRAPED THE LEADS TIGHT.
    IF I CHANGE PICK-UPS WOULD THE EMG'S BE BETTER OR THE FENDER VINTAGE NOISELEES. :rollno:

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Depends on what kind of tone you're going for. The EMG's will sound very modern and "hi-fi". They are active, though, so you will need to power them with batteries. The Fender noiseless pickups will sound like a Fender but, well, noiseless. :D

5. ID REALLY RATHER HAVE THE ORIGINAL SOUND. THANKS FOR
    YOUR ADVICE.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Check out the Pickup FAQ located at the top of this forum, there are at least two threads there with excellent J-pickup reviews.
    You should get all the info you need from there.

7. You may also try shielding the actual pickups themselves. That'd make a bigger difference than just shielding the cavaties. Stewart Macdonald has the instructions to shield them better.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-3789.html