J-Bass or P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by -=RoBiN HaT=-, Jan 5, 2002.

1. J-Bass

93 vote(s)
  2. P-Bass

54 vote(s)
  1. Just wondering which of the two people like best..

I'm a J-Person myself...
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome to TalkBass, Robin.

You can post this in "basses", you know. Don't be shy...

I love J basses, but I have had more P-basses than Js, there's something about them that just feels great.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in fact...
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I am a pretty die-hard J fan, myself... But I am in the process of building a nice P bass. I feel like they are two different animals. I like my J for more melodic, laid back, finger-style stuff, and the P bass for whacking away with a pick! That doesn't stop me from flipping those around, however. I just hear a pretty big difference in the tone, and I also think the p-bass reacts better to the heavier attack when I use a pick...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have been a J bass guy for years, but over the last 2 months I have changed camps. I want a good, affordable 5 string P, so I will be building a Warmoth P/MM 5 in a few months.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I love 'em both, but my fav is a p-bass with flatwounds. I think i would like a p-bass with a jazz neck, and a jazz-routed p-bass body with a jazz neck. Both fretlesses with ebony fingerboards. Flats on the p-bass, rounds on the jazz bass.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I have both,and lately prefer the P.
  8. I have both, but I think I like the P better. Something about the feel and tone that makes me like it better.

9. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Ditto! :p
  10. I like P pickups, but I like the J body......
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have always been a fan of the Jazz bass. In fact I used to hate p-basses. mainly because my first bass was a p-bass copy.. it wasn't very pretty. but Now that i've played some nice p-basses, I find that I enjoy them a good bit. But i would have to go with Embellisher on getting a P/MM configuration. that would be a tonal monster. Heck why don't you just get a P&J style bass. I really like those. the best of both worlds imo :)
  12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Hey, you could get a Hoppus bass!:p

I'm a J-man myself!
  13. Idwita

Jan 5, 2002
    I have only owned two basses (I somehow still have my first), and the first is a P and J. However, I've played a good few of both, and the only bass that's satisfied me yet is the one I currently use, with dual humbucking pickups.
  14. tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    J-bass of course;)
  15. I am a J-man myself. I think the J-style pickup configuration just has a better growl, and slower decay time. The P pickups just fade after you hit a note.

Why is it that the majority of people on here say P, but the vote is for J?
  16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  17. J , is there really any challenge