Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J Bass or something more modern or other?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, Jan 28, 2005.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    These seem to show up often, so i thought i would ask for everyones help. i dont know what to spend my money on. i dont want to spend more than 1000 cdn (850US maybe id find that money for 900 US).
    All i want is something used, i have a fretless 6 trb right now, and i was thinking maybe getting a matching fretted one would be an idea (i may have to wait a while for one to show up) or go in the opposite direction and grab a used J bass, or maybe someone can come up with an even better idea thanks for the help
    -marty

2. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    man try out a bunch of different basses.. you will like some and dislike others... you cant go wrong with a jazz bass, but you just may not like it. try out some things out.

i recommend trying;

jazz bass (usa)
    Pbass (usa)
    musicman stingray or sterling

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Marcus Miller signature model is my suggestion.

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i havnt really taken note of any fender news or info. the Marcus Millers are made in Japan right? how do the japanese basses do vs US, and how are they for resale etc?
    im also looking at the J for more classic R&B type stuff, would the marcus do that well? it seems more like a funk monster.
    thanks for the input

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    For classic stuff a passive Jazz, or maybe better yet a Precision, strung with flats might be just the thing. It's what I have. Both, that is.

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    yah, i know that all babbit, jamerson and rocco etc. play P's but i really am not a fan of P basses. If i dont find a J with S1, it would be easy to get the same idea installed would it so i could have the series to paralell switching (thats what it is isnt it? )
    -marty

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You could do that. I'm going to try the series/parallel thing on my parts Jazz. I've played the S-1 Jazzes and liked the parallel tone.

8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Yeah, the Marcus Miller is probably too bright for what you want. (But check one out if you get a chance for the hell of it.)