J-bass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by searchofdignity, Jan 30, 2002.

1. what was it that caused you to buy one? I got mine because i like the dual pickups. I like it better than the split coil on my p-bass. I cant show my setup because anymore i compress it it will be small enough you can tsee it. ill try to show it again. Please tell me whyyou bought you j-bass
  2. I wanted a fretless, it sounded good, felt comfortable
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The slim neck, and the tone. Nothing sounds exactly like a Jazz except for a Jazz.
  4. I avoided the P bass because it only had 1 pickup.

Big Mistake.

Seriously Big Mistake.

One should have an idea of what music they are going to play, and buy the correct instrument for that music. I play a weekly blues gig and would like to do some country and southern rock. No slapping, no high-tech Marcus Miller stuff. The P-Bass is the ticket for these styles.

Now I'm out looking for a 5-string P bass.
  5. joseph moore

joseph moore

Nov 24, 2001
    waldorf, md
    I got my J-bass because she has the tone that I like. Wonderful shape, and it was prettier than the mm stringray that was hung next to her in the music store.
  6. I bought my Marcus Miller Sig for the:
    1) Features
    2) the known growl of J-basses
    3) The "bigness" of it (huge body+huge headstock=HUGE tone IMHO.)
    4) Overall cool look (The FrankenBass caught my eye, not to mention I'm a sucker for natural finish...)

Now, I'm not trying to make P-Basses feel bad with these, mind you. I love P-Basses for rock...but other than that they aren't very versitale
  7. joseph moore

joseph moore

Nov 24, 2001
    waldorf, md
    that marcus miller j-bass is one superbad instrument
  8. Bought it cause it was cheap--all five times!
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's the Swiss Army knife of basses, and I love the feel of the neck.
  10. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    The first one because I could, then my latest one because I shouldn't have sold my first one....

Lovely tone and a very nice neck !
  11. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Actually, I prefer my 79 Precision, but I scored a good deal on a beautiful MIJ 75 RI Jazz signed by Victor Wooten on the headstock. Couldn't let it go.
  12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    im going to buy a j-bass because i like the slim neck,the sound,the lightweight body,and the chrome extension off the pickguard;)
  13. It seems silly now, but in the early eighty's, it was the serious working bassplayers bass. That or a P Bass with a J bass pickup in the back. My teacher had the P bass but I kept seeing jaco's picture on the back of the twins album, and hearing that sound. Then Will Lee was always playing a wierd orangish one on Letterman(NBC). And then, his occasional sub Marcus Miller played one too. It seems to be the "New York Sound". I think it had to do with Roger Sadowsky helping to make them really sing, and later when SWR amps came out we could hear the whole bass. But back to your question, the J Bass has a combination of history, playability, great sound, and familiarity(to engineers, conductors, producers, and the public). Ask someone to play one they've had for awhile, if they won't sell it, you'll know why they are so beloved when you play it.
  14. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Bought my J:

1) Excellent punk tone
    2) Good feel with rosewood fingerboard
    3) Looks awesome in midnight wine
    4) The store actually had a lefty version
    5) Hunter from AFI plays a J
  15. ok u bought it for that reason? I bought mine because it had great tone for what i do(school jazz band lab band! relaxed jazz!) and rock
  16. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I bought mine because I felt that I had a certain connection with it. It was like me if I were a bass. It sat in the music store with only a few admirers and no-one really giving it a good try. one day I plugged it in and was amazed I bought it right on the spot. I guess the reason I like it is because both of us just needed a chance to be heard.

And because it has a very versatile tone;)
  17. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Because John Paul Jones played one for the majority of his career. Enough said. However, after I learned how to play and developed as a player with my own style and personality, I stuck with the jazz for several reasons. First, most of my bass idols/influences played one (and they were played on most of my favorite albums from the late '60's-'70's), so the shape and tone is inspiring for that reason. There are 2 pickups, so I have a thumb rest, the neck has a flat profile, the nut is 1 1/2" wide-very comfortable to my hands, it seems to take an agressive playing style fairly well, balances well, more tone options with 2 single coils, etc. Overall, it just has a good mix of clarity, punch, depth, and midrage complixity.
    Did I mention that John Paul Jones playes one? :D
  18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The narrow neck, and the sound. The Jazz is no longer by main bass (Tobias is), but I will always have one...
  19. I played a lot of basses and my first bass was and still is a Sadowsky jazz:

tone is great
    neck shape was good since I'm a guitar player first

And the list of people using the J was encouraging: Marcus Miller, Will Lee, Geddy Lee, the guy in Rage Against the Machine, Jaco, Darryl Jones with the Stones, Tommy Shannon,Adam Clayton, someof Tom Hamilton's work, etc.

I have a Sadowsky PJ4 on order.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Theys purty and they smell nice