1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J-Bass, P-Bass - whats better for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by einbass, Apr 27, 2009.

1. einbass

einbass

Apr 26, 2009
    Hi all, first of all, excuse my bad english - im not from the US.

So i decided to get this Bass here: http://www.thomann.de/de/fender_squier_affinity_pbass_rw_mb.htm they sell it as a J-Pass and as a P-Bass and im not sure what to get.

I read a lot of opinions and articles about J/P on the internet but im still not sure whats the right for me :confused:

I mainly want to play modernrock like jimmy eat world, blink-182, foo fighters, the all-american rejects and so on

Whats better for that style of music?

i read that on the j-bass you can play a bit higher and on the p-bass the deep notes sound better...

like mark, bassist from blink182, plays a j-bass (but with a p-pickup, whatever that means).. so is that the right?

im just not sure what to get, help me out guys!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

As much as I love J basses, I believe for what you are playing, a P is the way to go. Just MHO....

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    get one of each and take a few years and sort it out.

4. Obviously, your best scenario would be to go to a music store, play both types of bass, and decide what sounds best to you. If that's not an option, get a bass that the player you want to sound like uses. If you like the Blink 182 guy's sound, I think he has a signature bass which is a Jazz bass body and a Precision Bass pickup. A precision bass will sound more like that than a Jazz will.
    Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Peace

5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I think all of those bands use P basses, except for the Foo Fighters.

6. primus150

primus150

Mar 29, 2009
    the best way to tell is to see and hear them in person, as was said. but the p-bass has a much fatter, thicker tone in the lows, whereas the jazz bass has a crisp, growling midrange.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Your english is better than a majority of posts here on Talkbass every day.

Congratulations on a better grasp of the language than a percentage of people who actually live here in the U.S.

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm totally, completely, 100% in agreement with Quad on this:bassist: But both would work. Enjoy:)

9. P bass would suit you best in my opinion

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Whichever one feels better in your hands is the obvious choice.

11. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    i would go with the one you like better.

12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Seriously, as far as Affinity series basses go, it's not like there is such an amazing difference in the way they sound. HOWEVER, there is a big difference in the way they feel! The J has a sleeker, thinner neck profile whereas the P has a wide, thicker neck. To my hands, P necks are much more comfortable, as the J neck (especially towards the headstock end) becomes cramped.

Try both out! Whichever one feels better, go with that one! Spend a few months playing bass until you become the next Mark King or Victor Wooten :) Now, you not only have the skills to warrant a better bass, but you have the main starting point to go from...you know what kind of bass your hands like, which is more than half the battle.

13. einbass

einbass

Apr 26, 2009
    Okay after watching some YouTube Comparison Videos i decided to get a P-Bass :) like the sound better

14. KLEIN

KLEIN

Apr 4, 2009
    Lakewood CA
    Endorsing: Schecter Basses
    I love P-Bass's but love the sound of a jazz Bass. So I use a P/J setup in mine.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    either bass would work just fine. It really depends on what you want to play.

J bass = narrow neck, 2 pickups so you can get several sounds.

P- bass = wider neck (some prefer that for slapping) and the single P pickup, while limited in tone, does get a real signature sound when played with a pick.

good luck

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I was going to say something similar; and he knows how to use a big letter at the start and a little dot at the end of a sentence.

Maybe the USA should adopt some foreign school practices regarding English.