1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

j bass pick up advise needed !!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by uk subversives, May 1, 2009.

1. uk subversives

uk subversives

Dec 23, 2008
    london
    Hello i just bought a fender mexican j bass and i came with the pu´s like i never seen before , basically the 2 pairs of metal dots in the middle of the pick ups are risen not flosh or flat against the pu.

i dont know if is like this or has not pu´s cover or if is faulty , to me sounds normal but this two specific strings are a bit cranky when u hit them properly with plectrum.

please i would like to get some advise is my first jazz bass .

many thanks

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/cellbound/jazzbasspus.jpg

2. Could be SD Antiquities - someone will know :)

3. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Seems like raised pole piece to match the neck radius to me

4. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    ^yeah

5. uk subversives

uk subversives

Dec 23, 2008
    london
    so is that it? i mean that can be reset ? only thing that worries me is a bit of noise when i play. last owner was funky finger player . he had no probs i do

cheers

6. Just lower the the pick ups down as a whole (using a screw driver), but some pick ups have adjustable pole pieces which I have no experience with.

7. Underworld

Underworld

Apr 25, 2009
    Santa Cruz
    What you have is normal, my MIM was the same way. It is done like that so the pole piece to string distances match better with the 9.5" fretboard radius. The individual pole piece height is not adjustable. If lowering the pickups doesn't help or makes the E and G strings too weak, then I'd check the string heights. The strings may be set too flat (A and D strings too low) rather than in an arc to match the radius of the fretboard (and pickups).

8. uk subversives

uk subversives

Dec 23, 2008
    london
    ok everyone thanks for the advise! it may just need a proper setup instead a pu's replacement.

cheers

9. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

Agreed. Get yourself a 6" Steel ruler and set your action according to the data on Fenders websight. Then adjust equally up and down from there.

10. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

There you go.