J-Bass pick-ups for flatwounds

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by straycat23, Mar 25, 2001.

1. straycat23

Mar 25, 2001
    I'm wanting to upgrade my pick-ups on my MIM Jazz bass for use with flatwounds. I generally play rockabilly, western swing, and honky tonk. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Randy
  2. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I just put in Dimarzio ultra jazz pickups in my MIJ jazz bass. The change is very subtle from the stock pickups. There is still some hum at higher volumes when hands are not on the strings. I did notice that there are more tonal variations available because there is little 60 cycle hum, typical for fender pickups, when the pickup volumes are set at different levels. I can get a clean P bass tone or a fat J bass tone by adjusting pickup volume. Overall they're starting to grow on me and the price was right.

I would assume from the styles of music you play you would want a warm fat sound. I would recommend looking at the J bass pickup replacement shooout from bassplayer magazine at www.bassplayer.com. They review a ton of pickups relative to a vintage 65 jazz bass.

Also, look at www.guitarnut.com for instructions on sheilding the body cavities. The guy that runs the site claims that sheilding and grounding for single pole pickups will do as much for your tone as new pickups