J Bass Pickguard/Pickup question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Droog, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I have been thinkin about getting a Jbass this summer. Not sure what model yet. My question is; can you remove the pickguard on any Jbass without exposing wires and detaching the pickup. The reason I ask is that I really like the look of the Jbass's without a pick guard, yet the metal plate under the pots remain. Understand what I am saying? Tim Commerford has a J that looks like this, for example. Thanks guys.
  2. Yes, you can just unscrew the screws and take it off. You will be able to see the little holes though, but no wire or anything like that. It would look like a jaco bass but with holes to mount a pickguard.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    WHOA! slow down grasshopper,
    most Jazzes have a pup route under the pickguard.MIA,MIM both have this. I own a fretless MIJ jazz that is not routed. The 75R.I. may not be routed (won't look under mine, don't care). The 60's classic also may not be routed.
  4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think that most Fender Jazz basses these days have no exposed wires under the pickguard, but I'm not sure because I've never actually taken a pickguard off of one of them myself.
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm pretty sure the MIA '62 RI doesn't have a route under it, I know the P version doesn't have a route, and neither does my Jaco (which is based off the '62 RI I believe).
  6. My 97 MIA has a route from the neck pickup. I believe that most (if not all) MIA's are made this way. I could be wrong, though.
  7. My dad's 99 MIA has a big route under the pickguard, most jazzes do, except the 60, 70's reissues.