1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J-bass pickup in extreme neck position?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arvin, May 6, 2010.

1. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    The title says it all, really. Has anyone experimented with a J-bass pickup way up by the neck heel (similar location to the old Gibson mudbuckers)? If so, how did it sound?

I'm contemplating a build with a Lace Alumitone bassbar, placed a little closer to the bridge than a P-bass pickup usually sits. I was thinking I'd make it a single-pickup bass, but I've also got a single jazz pickup sitting unused in a box. So, I've been wondering what that one would sound like placed in the extreme neck position. Another two-pickup bass... <sigh> :p

I'm guessing it'd be deep and full, but not muddy, due to the narrow aperture of the J pickup design.

Any input from people who've done this? Or other opinions?

Thanks.

2. Arvin

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Bump for weekend viewing goodness.

3. hi,

ones you finish your bass please let us know if everything went as planed... i have this project of a single middle-to-neck pickup bass and i'm looking for pickup sugestions.
    i'd love to put a darkstar in there but i want a humbucker for noise reasons.

thanks

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    There was a guy in the usenet bass group that did this. He did a Jazz bass with a third pickup. He played blues and although I never heard him in person he did post sound clips of his bass. It was rather interesting with a very deep smooth and nearly muddy sound.

It impressed me enough to buy a third pickup (MM not J) for my G&L to put up by the neck. I haven't done it yet, but I do think that once it's done it'll give the G&L which as a very wide tonal range and even greater range especially toward the deep end.

I could see how a severe neck pickup could easily get too muddy but so long as you do have other pickups to mix in, you don't have to worry. And anyway, my idea was to have a switch to change between the standard pickups and a "wide stance" version.

5. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Single pole pup right up at the neck? Ric have been doing it for years and it's not muddy at all.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Just sounded like a really dark Jazz pickup, when I tried it.

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
  8. Arvin

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. It sounds like this might be pretty cool.

I'm definitely going to try this soon, but I need to re-think the idea of a Jazz pickup and an Alumitone. The impedance mismatch probably wouldn't be such a great thing.

So, it'll be a Jazz pickup (extreme neck position), and something else. Maybe a MM or something.

9. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    Did you ever give that a try? I'd love to modify, buy or build a bass that is sort of a J/P/Tele combo with a strat type 5 position switch. J at the bridge, P in the middle and either a J or a humbucker at the neck. Even better might be a G&L or MM HHH. In the interim I'll probably get an Allen Woody or a Telebass to get that deep tone that some call muddy.

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Mark Adams of the Ohio funk band Slave did this back in the 70s:

8883re2.

He got a great tone.

Rics have the neck pickup there, so a Jazz pickup should should very similar in that location.

11. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    If you do have a pick-up available, you could experiment by placing it over the strings temporarily, before putting it in place, below the strings. Some tape and small pieces of wood are enough to set up the experiment.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    sdpu-2.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  14. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    Very nice Ric5!

15. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    I decided to go mudbucker on both the P and the J. Both sound great...

IMG_5242.

16. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    Might still give that a try - just need a new PG to cover the crater left by the Mr Mud.

17. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    Sorry to dig this up, I did this experiment with my project bass. I put the pickup under the 24th fret position (strong fifth fret harmonic). I have been noodling with other placements. I really am liking the tone of the 28th? fret (under the 4th fret harmonic) It has the same thud as the 24th with slightly less fundamental sound and less "hollowness." The 24th fret has a certain rawness I love, but the 28th fret has less phase cancellation bizarreness with the bridge pickup. I may eliminate the the 24, and the traditional jazz. I am looking for a 5 string mudbucker any knowledge?