1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J bass pickup in series

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NannerPuddin, Mar 8, 2010.

1. NannerPuddin

NannerPuddin

Oct 30, 2009
    I just wired up my J-bass copy with a series switch. I sounds great, but with the series switched in the level is way high. In fact, it peaks out my input on the amp. Is there a way to throw a reistor in there somewhere that will bring the series sound down a little in volume without killing the cool tone?

Thanks,

Doug

2. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    It will have more output. My workaround is I have the series volume controlled by the neck pickup vol. I set that down to taste in par mode so when the series switch kicks in, the vol in series where I need it to be (usually a bit higher than par mode).
    David

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Expanding on Koeda's idea. How about one of them mini potentiometers you have to use little screwdriver to adjust trim on. Wire that to a switch. Dial in the amount of level cut you want and all done. This gives the option to dial in to personal taste whenever. There may be times when you want the hotter but maybe not as hot as without a little trim, output. The tone change of series parrellel can be very useful to some. But haveing better matched output can be tricky in some cases. Did this mod for a friend some years ago. Used submini pot soldered to the switch in such a way that getting screwdriver infor adjustment wasnt a hassle. I think it was a 250k pot. Bass owner said he adjusted pot to about what would be rolled down to around 8 out of 10. I've also used this submini pot on switch trick for occassional mod to single volume guitars to give that tone shift of slightly rolled of neck or bridge pup. I choice the pot over resister for above reason and cause I didnt want the hassle of trying several different values for the resister. Did same thing to my first doublenecks ebo3 side as a treble shunt and treble pass filter switches for its pups for improved tone. Lol.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020