1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

j bass pickups and wiring question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jul 24, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i'm eventually going to put new pickups in my mia jazz (natural/maple). i've been going back and forth on this, have searched, and checked the bp shootout. i play loud/chaotic rock and roll through a mesa 400+ and an svt 8x10 with a pick. i want a strong, balanced tone. i'm really leaning towards the dimarzio model j's. i'm also starting to think about these too:

fender cs 60's
    basslines antiquity II
    dimarzio ultra jazz

i don't want a super hifi/ultra modern tone, but not too muddy either. i don't want to deal with push/pull pots either. can you have them wired specifically one way or the other (series or parallel)? standard is parallel correct? this give alittle more clarity right (with the model j's)? anyway...one thing that worries me about the model j's, is that people say they're so great for fretless, but what about fretted with rock and roll?

2. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah...i read that actually. really good stuff. that's actually what got me leaning towards the model j's. the only problem i have is the rolled off highs. but i'm thinking that since i play with a pick, and usually alittle closer to the bridge, that this might be alright. i like that "attack" you get with a pick. i keep everything wide open, and i don't cut back the tone knob on my bass, so with all of that, do you think the model j's would be better over the ultrajazz? also...you said that having the model j's wired in parallel helps with that clarity right?

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    May also want to consider Bill Lawrence pups. I was really happy with the set that I bought. I'm horrible at describing what pickups sound like, but I believe a quick search here will pull up a thread or two on BL pickups.

4. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    smash--any experience with the fender cs 60's?

5. poppamies

poppamies

Dec 15, 2002
    I have a custom made Jazz that I fitted with Fender cs 60's 4-5 years ago. I have been very pleased with the pickups. As you know the pups are "humbuckers" in the sense they are magnetically reversed. I did modify my Jazz though. I took away the other volume and put in a DPDT switch inplace of it and now I have the possibility to use the pups either in series or paralell. I was allways using full volume on both pups anyway so the only drawback with the pups in series is that they don't work as "humbuckers", and are a bit noisier than wired paralell. Anyway I'm content with the pickups.