J-bass pickups with good amount of bass needed.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Jan 8, 2006.

1. I am trying to get my two basses set up so my p-bass has the punchy mids and treble,and my jazz bass be the one with lots of bass.
    So any jazz bass pickups that fit the bill.

Or would I be better off with the jazz bass being the punchy one and the p-bass being the one with lots of bass?
  2. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Yes, probably so ....

But, some suggestions for J pickups with warm tone and boosted bass would be Duncan "Hots" or Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. I'm sure there are others.
  3. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Im pretty sure that the seymour duncan Antiquity IIs have a good vintage tone with lots of low end.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You should take a moment or two to check out the Jazz pups from Carey Nordstrand. The NJSE or NJSV are awesome for what you want. I went with the NJSE's.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL...I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm goofing on you, but you might as well say, "I want my P and J to do the opposite of what they're traditionally thought of as doing."

But here's the good news: Any bass will do what you want it to do and you don't have to mod it. I can get tremendous bass response from my Jazz, and a bright middy sound from my P copy that has 6 year old Labella flats. How, you may ask? The tone controls on my amp plus where on the body I pick the strings. Plus (and it's rare that I use it but it works) the tone control on each bass.

Changing pickups doesn't really do anything that makes the bass sound completely different as they merely pick up the sound from the location under the strings that they sit. yes, some of them have different EQ points, but in the end, it's not going to change the total character of the bass.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh really???

7. Don't most of the reggae players use a J bass?

When I recently recorded my various basses DI into my Sonar workstation, I was amazed at how much bottom was present on the MIM-J fretless with stock pickups and EXL-220 rounds. Very rich bottom that went all the way down.

To my ears, the J is more scooped sounding, and has more apparent bottom than my P or L1500.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a jazz bass with a pair of Bartolini J pickups in it and the front J bass pickup is voiced like a P-Bass.I don't think that this set is on the market yet,but you may be able to get info from a Bartolini dealer.
  9. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  10. I most certainly second that.
  11. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've found my Duncan 1/4 pounders are quite bassy.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Really. Prove me wrong. I have plenty of empirical evidence to back up my statement.