Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J Bass Pup Question, Please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by doc540, Nov 25, 2004.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I've searched and read the review threads but probably missed the simple answer to:

What pups most closely duplicate the tone of the pups in my stock, '69 Jbass?

Hadn't played it for a while and gigged with it last night. When I heard the tone I almost cried with joy.

Any other pups (apart from original '69 pups) duplicate that stock, Jbass tone?

And, thank you.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't know what your pups sound like but I've tried several Fender J's and Marcus Millers (reportedly Fender "Vintage" style pups) are the pups I've found most to my liking. I have two sets from Marcus Miller basses and they don't sound alike (even in the same bass ran the same way) but they are close. Although I prefer one set over the other, even the set I liked to a lessor degree I liked better than other Fenders to date. Otherwise, aside from EMG PJ's, I've never had identical sets of pups to side by side them. So I don't know how consistent pups are in general but if my MM's are reflective, even with another set of 69's, you may not get the tone you prefer.

I've got a set of 2% underwound Fralins headed this way and they're supposed to be close to an early 70's Fender tone. Will see when I get them.

I meant to ad I've heard good things (and nothing negative) about the Nordstrand NJ4 but haven't had a set myself yet to know.

3. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks. I just got an email suggesting the Nordstrands.

Anyone else wanna chime in?

4. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I would give Jimmy Coppollo at NY Guitar Boutique a call ( www.guitarboutique.com ). Jimmy is quite the Fender Jazz freak. He sees, repairs, and restores a $hitload of them (He is the only guy I let touch my Jazz and he is 1000 miles away).

Last time he and I talked on the matter (several years now), Jimmys suggestion was Fralins. I dont know what he is into these days. But, IMO he can point you in the right direction

Regards

:bassist:

5. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Found a set of '69 Jbass pups here locally!!

:hyper:

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you ever get them loaded into the same bass, I'd be interested in hearing how close you think they sound to the other set ran through the same rigging to the same tunes.

Out of curiosity, how do you know their 69's. A reliable source must have told you they came out of a '69 bass?

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hey Steve, glad to see you're finally playing your '69 again. The few shows I've seen you play I'm always hoping that you'll bring her along. Maybe on the 17th when you're playing with my dad?

Are you going to put the pickups you just found into your SX?

EDIT: I just found your PJ project thread. Was that your SX, and is that why you played your '69?

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've never even owned a Fender bass but the right Fender pup in the right bass is hard to match - at least in my experience. No doubt Fenders are more consistent now compared to the old handwounds but even their newer machine stuff is inconsistent.

9. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Yep, the HO was under the knife, so I played the '69.

Almost cried it sounded so good.

So, Cecil down at A&S had yanked a set of stock pups from his old Jazz and kept them all these years.

We installed them in the SX HO today, and they seem to sound great.

I'll test them against the '69 when we play on the 17th...same settings, all knobs wide open, same technique. This is gonna be fun!

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Chances of them sounding the same in a different bass is practically astronomical even with the same rigging, same tunes, same strings - although they may sound more to your liking, or similar just different, or like totally different pups. Regardless, they're starting to command some fairly high prices and are a prize acquisition. Good score.

11. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks! I don't expect them to perfectly duplicate the sound of the '69, but would be more than satisfied if they were reasonably close.

I used the original pup screws to maintain her Ho'ness.

Vintage HO Pups

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

actually, on one hand, you kind of want something different cause it's been my experience with my basses that a given pup only really shines in one bass. It would be nice for them to accent a different bass with the same quality but in a different way. On the other hand, it's nice to have a backup set for a pup you really like if something goes sour with the set being used.

I've wondered if you sent a set of good working pups into Fralin (whoever) and said, wind me a set that sound just like these, if they could actually do it. Nordstrand apparently uses a computer to configure and monitor their pups so I'm guessing they aren't alone. It would be worth the coin to get a set you actually knew what they'd sound like before buying.

13. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    That's an intriguing idea, but the first thing that popped into my paranoid mind was, "No way I'm letting my '69 J pups leave my hands!".

Maybe if I could drive over to the company and sit and watch while they profiled them I'd consider it.

But dumbass me never thought about technology that can duplicate an old pup.