1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J BASS PUP SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by leftybasswtf, Mar 1, 2008.

1. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    Hi,
    I bought a great little SX J bass and would like to upgrade the two J pickups. I want to keep it passive. I don't expect Ken Smith tone for my budget. Despite it's crazy metal headstock I really liked the sound of the old Charvel 2B basses but it had P/J configuration. Is it possible to capture that tone with two Js?

Any ideas? The string spacing on this bass is a little narrower. Would adjustable pole pieces be better?
    At the end of the day I'd be happy with decent sound, hum free PUPs.
    Tanx :bassist:

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Basslines Vintage in the Neck
    Basslines Hot in the Bridge

3. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Years ago, BassPlayer magazine did an article test a lot of J-Bass pick-ups...all passive. Pretty good article and it had a list of them all and how they did. Maybe BassPlayer's archive would have that available for you.

I usually recommend DiMarzio J-Bass P/U's and remember that they scored very close to the top of the heap. I'm thinking about getting an SX J-Bass and doing a bit of electronics customizing myself.

4. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    If the "Basslines Vintage in the Neck, Basslines Hot in the Bridge" PUPs don't break my budget I'll def. do it. Tanx!

5. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    Tanx for all the feedback.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    There is a sticky in this very forum about comparing a million different jazz pick-ups.

Another resource would be BP's review (check it out HERE).

7. Yes read the sticky, its excellent. I went with Aeros. Jsut got them rigged up.

HOLY... ... they're utterly amazing, here's an excerpt..

"Larry, they're beautiful! Full as a harvest moon, " throaty" I call it, deep lows , yet I can pluck up high on the G string and it rings clear as a bell with no squwak.

Lovely Lovey magnets here Sir. Wiring is quiet as well. AND... oh AND I can dial in the bridge pup exclusively w/o any more hum than first appears when you shut down the neck. ITS A P BASS! You can solo the pups very quietly. Pure trebly Rickenbacher on the neck. Cool. Very very cool.

Thank you Larry, these made my axe!

Gene ""

Your results may indeed vary. These'll run ya two bits. ( $200)

ww.aeroinstrument.com

I gotta got back to the heavenly bliss of these... man....