1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

J-Bass 'stack' question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Jul 3, 2001.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    OK, at Warmoth Online, it has some pick-ups called 'Stack Pickups for Jazz Bass.' I'm curious about these. Are they similar to the bridge pickups on the Fender Americkan Deluxe P-Bass? If not, what are these?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Stacked pickups are humbucker pickups in a stacked format. So, they look like regular ol' Jazz pickups, and fit in the same space as a regular ol' jazz pickup. They just arent single-coils like said regular ol' jazz pickups. This means, when you solo a stacked humbucker, you won't get the same hum as you will with a single coil pickup. And, it won't sound quite the same, either. Some people prefer the single coil sound over humbuckers.

This is a quickie response. Hopefully, someone like Hambone, or Rickbass1 will provide a more thorough explanation.

3. I don't know about other stacked J-bass pickups but Seymour Duncan sells the Classic Jazz Stack pickups which are killer J-pickups IMO. I have them in my custom J-bass (swamp ash, maple/maple).
    They give me "that J-bass" sound, I'm very pleased with them.

Check the BassPlayer site for a comparison of J-bass pickups.

Bert