Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J-Bass 'stack' question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Jul 3, 2001.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    OK, at Warmoth Online, it has some pick-ups called 'Stack Pickups for Jazz Bass.' I'm curious about these. Are they similar to the bridge pickups on the Fender Americkan Deluxe P-Bass? If not, what are these?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Stacked pickups are humbucker pickups in a stacked format. So, they look like regular ol' Jazz pickups, and fit in the same space as a regular ol' jazz pickup. They just arent single-coils like said regular ol' jazz pickups. This means, when you solo a stacked humbucker, you won't get the same hum as you will with a single coil pickup. And, it won't sound quite the same, either. Some people prefer the single coil sound over humbuckers.

This is a quickie response. Hopefully, someone like Hambone, or Rickbass1 will provide a more thorough explanation.

3. I don't know about other stacked J-bass pickups but Seymour Duncan sells the Classic Jazz Stack pickups which are killer J-pickups IMO. I have them in my custom J-bass (swamp ash, maple/maple).
    They give me "that J-bass" sound, I'm very pleased with them.

Check the BassPlayer site for a comparison of J-bass pickups.

Bert