1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

J-Bass style pickups- adjustable?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by annvald, Nov 29, 2019.

1. annvald

annvald

Dec 20, 2010
    Tallinn
    Hi,
    which J- bass (5-strings) style pickups you recommend for Sadowsky MV5. I need pickups which magnets heights are adjustable, because D and G string are uneven loudness.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    If your D and G strings are uneven loudness, I suggest you fix that problem first. Could be bad strings, could be bridge saddles that need re-slotting, could be your technique.

Do they sound uneven when the bass is unplugged and unamplified?

PawleeP and Vinny_G like this.
  3. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    Hi. Does this problem persist when you adjust the pickups height?

4. annvald

annvald

Dec 20, 2010
    Tallinn
    When the bass is unplugged the G and D string also sound uneven, less but still noticeable. Bridge saddles are re-slotting. I have used different strings and sizes: 40...125, 45...130, D´Addario, Ernie Ball. Pickups height does not change the relationship between the volume D and G string. I let rise pickup magnets under D -string, now is better, but it is very difficult to adjust their height when they are glued inside. Playing techniques? I dont know? It is first time I have problem with some in the middle located string volume (D, A ), I have had Stingray-4 which had weak G-string but this is well known problem and another topic.

5. annvald

annvald

Dec 20, 2010
    Tallinn
  6. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    Do you have the same action on all strings or do you use a decreasing action from B to G?
    Glued inside? Is that really what you meant? If so, it means that they are not supposed to be adjusted.

You seem to believe that the pickups are defective, but you say that the G and D strings also sound uneven when the bass is unplugged, so the pickups are clearly not involved and there is a problem elsewhere. Especially since you don't specify if this happens with one or both of them. You mention re-slotted bridge saddles. Could it be the cause? :unsure:

7. annvald

annvald

Dec 20, 2010
    Tallinn
    I use a little decreasing action from B to G. Right now I use low action: from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string 1/16" on the G string and3/32" on the E string and B string action little higher than E. I´ve also tried high action: 3/32" (G) and 1/8" (E). It doesn't change anything.
    Adjust Pole-piece heights- this is the only way to make strings sound same volume. Another option is to replace the bridge or at least bridge saddles but they seem to be fine. That's why I wanted to try another type of pick- ups.