J Bass Volume Drop when both pickups are engaged.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MMMiguelito, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MMMiguelito

MMMiguelito "...I'm afraid, Dave".

Jul 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    HI everyone:

I just bought an Audere Jazz Preamp and installed it in my MIM Jazz 5, which has Lindy Fralin Jazz 5 pickups. I put an identical piece in another bass I own and love the results.

I wired it up exactly as i did my other bass, and I'm encountering a problem. When the blend pot is at Center Detent, I get a major drop in volume, and it sounds as though the bridge pickup is soloed, which is not the case. When I go to either Neck PU or Bridge PU they sound fine. My other bass does not have this symptom.

I'm confused. It sounds as if the pickups are out of phase. I was thinking of reversing the wires on one of the pickups, but that doesn't seem to make sense.
    Could it be as simple as flipping one pickup around? That doesn't seem to make sense either.

Any information you could relay would be helpful and most welcome.

Thanks,
    MP

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Super volume drop and thin bridge-y tone? Yeah, sounds like out of phase.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  3. Sounds like a typical phase issue.

4. Thwack

Thwack

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    ...so what's the solution? Inquiring minds want to know.

5. You swap the leads around on one pickup.

Thwack likes this.
  6. Thwack

Thwack

Oct 5, 2010
    Seattle
    Thanks! I think I'll give that a try. :)

7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Battery ? :)

8. That couldn't cause the issue described.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I only said it because I was chasing my tail about a month ago and the obvious quick check eluded me ( d'oh! ) Now my fast answer, even here at work is "check the battery!" You folks are far smarter than I about this stuff. I'm the savant in the corner eating his eraser :D

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021