Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

J bass w/ lace sensors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Sep 12, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Fender made these for only a couple of years in the early 90's. Active eq, lace sensor pups. Anyone ever play one? There's one on the 'bay, but don't want to bid if it sounds or plays like ass.......

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, mine's a '94 American Deluxe. It's got great tone (like J+). The pickups will buzz a little around fluorescent lights, etc., but otherwise it's great. It is my first five-string. I bought it after hearing a guy play one in a country band.

3. ive played a black 4 regulary, jazz bass special or plus or something like that, japanese made with a downsized kubicki preamp....was great, the neck is a little thinner than your average jazz, which i hated..sounded good though, looks good as well...either that or a 70's telecaster bass which had 2 extra j pups and a split coil pup was gonna be mine before i found my precious

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If you have the Kubicki pre, it's a Jazz Plus which were American-made. Special's were 4-string only's had a Precision body, P+J pickups, and a jazz-width neck (aka the "Duff Bass"). Those were Japanese-made.

...and Munji's is a Jazz Plus V, no matter what he says. ;) However, I agree with him - they're great, well-constructed basses with very comfy necks. My only quabble is that from D down on the low B can be somewhat indistinct, but it's not the bass I grab when I want to spend all my time down in that range, so it's much more than "dealable".

My only "issues" is that their prices have raised on the used market over the past few years to the point where you can get a nice used "newer" Jazz, which is probably a better choice if you don't want/need some of the Plus' specialized features (smaller body, electronics, etc.)

5. no, it was japanese made, i played it today...along with a butterscotch telecaster bass, so beautiful, prefer that to a precision anyday

6. audioripple

audioripple

Oct 8, 2002
    hi,Munjibunga
    I also have one but 4 strings.
    Do you know the electirc system of the bass? The knob?
    I think the one of them is passive/active switch.

7. well its a kubicki pre so
    closest to the neck is Vol/Pickup Balance, Bass/Treb then 4 way switch (from Memory)
    1. standby
    2. Active
    3. Cant Remember if this was active or passive
    4. Passive

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    3. is half-passive, half active

9. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    From Full Clockwise, you have Standby, Active With Mid Boost (w/ the boost level varible from 1db to 8 db by the internal pot), Active, and Passive.

10. are these 9v or 18v?

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Munjibunga, that bass is beautiful!!!!! I love it! :bassist:

12. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    9V, and I've never felt the need to upgrade to additional headroom. "Downgraded" or not, it's still a great and underated electronics package. On paper I prefer it to the original Kubicki - for myself, it's a "less is more", as the original simply has too many options. What can I say, I'm a "one or two setting" kinda guy - I rarely stray from even 50/50 panning of pickups. :D

Heath, we get it - you love Kubicki basses. Please put it in your signature or something and kindly stop with the quasi-spamming you've been doing recently.

13. NEVER!! :p
    but you cant 1000hours battery life in these things

14. audioripple

audioripple

Oct 8, 2002
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Like the Munji, I have the active Jazz Plus 5 lace/active. It's very nice, and I like it lots. Good tonal fexability, though not as many voices as a G&L that lets you switch between dual and single coil. Highly recommended...