J-Bass With a P-Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HG1180, May 31, 2020.

1. Just now I fathomed this idea in my head and wondered if anyone has done this before, I love the big, baseball bat kinda necks that *some* p-basses have but i also like the tone of a J-Bass. Are there any clubs dedicated to this that i could look at? I know theres one for P’s with J necks, but what about the opposite?

2. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    If not, start a fat neck club. Just watched a video of Billy Sheehan talking about how he loves a fat 4 string neck and his signature Yamaha bass uses one.

JRA and HG1180 like this.
  3. I built one myself. Squier VM Jazz body, Fender Player roasted maple P neck, Hipshot Ultralites. Stock pickups so far, torn between replacing with better Jazz pups or using a Reggie Hamilton pixkguard I have and making it a PJ.

Typically, I've now got a short scale and my future probably lies in that direction, but this is the best 34" scale bass I have so I'll keep it. Might tune it BEAD or something, set it up so it has a USP over any shorties I'm playing.

20200531_152552.jpg

4. Now that is an idea! Might just have to start a fat neck club :thumbsup:

JRA likes this.
  5. The coloration of that neck is wonderful, Hows it play?
    My main bass has the nut filed inbetween a BEAD and EADG tuning so i can switch between them if need be.

6. The Fat-Neck Club Has been created!
    The Fat-Neck Club

7. Plays nicely! Fretwork is great, action is a good level. The neck finish is great, so smooth - I have a standard Player P which feels like exactly the same neck (but not roasted), and it's even smoother and less sticky than the satin finish on that.

HG1180 likes this.
  8. The satin finish on some fender necks will be the death of me, after playing for awhile its like glue! Do you know what neck profile it is?

9. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I encountered one at a music store once and it looked to be a good vintage (probably late '60s or early '70s). Sunburst body.
    I passed for a bunch of stupid reasons. That is definitely one of the bigger ones that got away...

HG1180 likes this.
  10. According to Fender - "Featuring a comfortable "Modern C"-shaped profile and 9.5"-radius".

I think every Fender & Squier I've owned has been a "Modern C"! They've all felt a bit different, to me anyway.

Mongo44 and Jason Hollar like this.
  11. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Don’t know about clubs, but I believe that Anthony Jackson’s “career girl” was a Jazz with a P neck. So I think you’d be in a good club with such a bass :)

12. Sursonique

Sursonique

May 17, 2020
    My main bass is a Precision bass with a Jazz neck, BUT, i also got the opposite. Basically what happened is that a friend of mine who is also a bassist and a luthier had been experimenting with an old bass of his, changed pickups, pots, etc but he had wrecked the neck, it was bent and unusable. I had a leftover Precision neck from a Squier, so he gave me the Jazz body and I put the P neck on it and a brass nut. Sounds really great too.

it is not the baseball bat profile though, it is the modern C. I have one SX P bass that has the vintage V profile, which is really fat and thick.

20200531_161332.jpg

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  13. A good match.

HG1180 likes this.
  14. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    P width neck with J body is, to me, the worst of both worlds. But bless y'all souls for making a place for all those displayed parts left over from those of us who put J necks on P bodies :)

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  15. Sursonique

Sursonique

May 17, 2020
    Probably the most famous bass player in my country, Diego Arnedo has been playing J-basses with Precision necks for decades

BeefPie84 likes this.
  16. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    You can option order a G&L with a P bass neck.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    '73 maple fretless P on J. If there isn't a club there should be. All my favorite basses have this approximate neck shape. IMG_2200.jpg

Attached Files:

Dabndug likes this.
  18. Just realised, you should probably be an honorary member of the fat neck club since you gave me the idea. The Fat-Neck Club :thumbsup:

19. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    My 64 Jazz sports an 80's Warmoth P neck (well before thy released their "slim taper" necks). From time to time I've installed my 62 P neck on that Jazz too.

upload_2020-5-31_20-30-17.jpeg

Sursonique and HG1180 like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021